Feast of the Holy Family

I keep hearing the lyrics of a Carole King song in my head. "It's too late, now. It's too late, though we really did try to make it." I suppose that song dates me, although it wasn't until the late 70's that I actually did get to see her perform on stage at my alma mater. What does this have to do with the Feast of the Holy Family?

Forgiveness and healing of families has been on my mind for the past few days. Holiness is a real possibility and needs to be a goal that we strive for in our families. Unlike the secular families today, who focus on the importance of altruism for the sake of maintaining one's social status in the community or helping others because it makes us feel good inside, the Catholic family loves one another because it is what God has commanded us to do, and the fruit of that love is so bountiful that it cannot be contained within the family unit, but overflows into the community of both believers and non-believers.

This sounds great idealistically, but with the craziness of life nowadays, with the hectic life styles families lead, each one on their own individual schedule, when is there even time to talk with one another? Then when there is a little time available, what do we end up doing but sitting down in front of the TV watching some mindless movie or sitcom or each playing with our own new tech toy. I am certainly not knocking technology, but there are times when we need to work together, share meals together, play together, and, most importantly, pray together. Mother Teresa tells us: "Love begins at home. That's why it is important for the family to pray together, and they will stay together and love one another. Then it will be easier to be a fountain of love for one another."

I also believe that the father and mother in a family need to demonstrate that love to their children by their surrender to one another, their respect for one another, and by the forgiveness they show toward one another. When forgiveness is needed, it needs to be done expediently, in a kind, gentle, and loving manner, which is certainly an exercise in humility. Frequent prayer and family participation in the Sacrament of Reconciliation can go a long way.

If there is a long-standing hurt within a family, and one person is unwilling to forgive or to communicate with the other, I recommend daily prayer for that individual. The best time for me to do that kind of intercessory prayer seems to be right after receiving Jesus in Holy Communion, when his flesh and his blood become part of me and we are united as one. I feel closest to Him then. It is during this time that My Love cannot refuse me, if what I ask is in accordance with His holy will.

It's really never too late. I have witnessed family relationships that were torn apart become healed after fifty years. I have seen miraculous healing where family members have returned to the faith after long periods of absence. The power of prayer is awesome! All it takes is a little humility, faith the size of a mustard seed, perseverance, and a heart full of love -- love for God and for one another.

Comments

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots