Lent

"Lent is the time for entering into oneself. It is the period of the particular intimacy with God in the secrecy of one’s own heart and conscience… Lent is essentially an invitation to conversion. The 'works of mercy' spoken of in the gospel open the way to it."

"Let ourselves be reconciled with God, for He has done so much for this reconciliation."

~ Pope John Paul II

Lent begins today on Ash Wednesday. Lent is a time when we are called as Catholics to a deeper conversion and cleansing of our hearts. It is a time where we are called to give ourselves totally to God and to remove any obstacles that prevent Him from drawing nearer to us.

Lent reminds me of the spring-cleaning that I do each year. Each spring, I clean my house thoroughly and throw out or give away the items in my home that I no longer use. I rid my house of the clutter and make room for the necessary items or create new space so I can move about more freely without stumbling over things. It is certainly not an easy task because I am a packrat and sentimentally attach myself to what some might label as “junk”.

My method for deciding whether or not to keep an item has been very subjective over the years, but more recently, I have asked myself, “Is this item really necessary for my survival?”
I find that question to be quite effective in eliminating 99% the “junk”.

This year, I am seeking to rid myself of the “inner junk” that blocks the flow of God’s graces and keeps me from living a life of holiness – a life filled with the beauty of His love. This is the time of year to take a good look inside of myself and take inventory. What bad habit or sin can I work on permanently eliminating in my life? What sin am I really attached to that I can work on removing – not just during this Lenten season, but permanently? Is this sin really that necessary for my survival in this world? What virtue can I replace it with to ensure my survival in the next life?

“ The truth will set you free.”
~ John 8:32

"Lent is a time of deep truth, truth which converts, restores hope, puts everything in its place, reconciles…"
~ Pope John Paul II

Comments

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots