Pope John Paul II Mini-series: A Coming Home for Jon Voight


For Jon Voight, the actor who shot to fame 36 years ago as an aspiring gigolo in “Midnight Cowboy,” playing Pope John Paul II was like a personal coming home.

“I’ve gone through a lot of stuff in my life,” Voight said in a recent telephone interview, adding that as he has grown older he has developed a greater sense of “God’s importance in our lives.”

The 66-year-old Oscar-winner plays the late pope in a two-part CBS mini-series to be aired on December 4th and 7th on CBS.

Voight, who won an Oscar for best actor playing a handicapped Vietnam War veteran in the 1978 film “Coming Home,” said his Catholic upbringing helped him prepare for his role as John Paul.

“I had a wonderful time doing the pope, maybe because I understood more than most what he was since I had a Catholic background,” he said. “I was not intimidated to take this role because I did not have to go to school from scratch to be comfortable with the surroundings of the Church. I’d been there before.”

Voight said he could not have done the film without having lived a long and sometimes troubled life himself.

“I think I had to live a life. For some reason I have had success playing the suffering souls so that the last stages (of the pope’s life) were comfortable for me,” Voight said.

He said that looking back on his own life he realized that one of the most important lessons was learning how to use freedom wisely -- one of the late pope’s recurring themes.

“Free love -- what a poison that was,” he said, recalling the 1960s. “Free love, the destruction of family life and loyalties and the responsibilities of parents, and I’ve gone through that, so I know,” he said.

Voight has very
strained relations with his daughter, actress Angelina Jolie, whom he had by his first marriage. He left his wife when Jolie was less than a year old.

The four-hour mini-series on CBS is one of several television films that have been made since the pope died. Competing network ABC will air its own TV movie about the pope on Dec. 1.

For a synopsis of the CBS mini-series, go
here. Time magazine presents information about both the CBS and ABC films here. For Pope Benedict XVI's reaction to the CBS mini-series, go here.

Comments

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots