Woman Asks McDonald's in Raleigh to Remove Sign "Jesus is the Reason for the Season"


The sign at McDonald's on the corner of Falls of Neuse and Spring Forest Road reads: "Merry Christmas, Jesus is the Reason for the Season." It is a holiday message that Amanda Alpert thinks comes on a little too strongly.

"It offends me because it specifically talks about Jesus, Merry Christmas. It doesn't give credit to anyone else," Alpert said.

Alpert called the McDonald's corporate office in Atlanta and requested that the sign be changed to the politically correct Happy Holidays. The response was the owner has the right to do what she wants with the sign.

"I care because I'm Jewish, and the reason for the season is upsetting to me," Alpert said.

Hmm...that's interesting Yom Kippur, Hanukkah, Rosh Hashanah, Shavut, Sukkot, and Pesach have never bothered me. I think religious feasts are intriguing. I visited a Jewish synagogue when I was a freshman in high school along with my classmates from the all girls' Catholic school I attended and was fascinated with the Jewish faith and their religious traditions. I always secretly wished I could attend a Bar Mitzvah. I don't know what bothers this woman about other faiths celebrating their religion. Perhaps, she had a bad experience in her childhood that is continuing to plague her as an adult, who knows? Perhaps, she wants media attention. Perhaps, she just wants to stir up trouble.

She says the sign "doesn't give credit to anyone else." Who else can we give credit to at Christmas? At Christmas, Christians celebrate the birth of Christ.

Does she want people who are not Jewish to mention Hanukah on their Christmas sign? Are Jewish businesses forced to remove greeting signs that say "Happy Hanukkah" because they are offensive to a Christian and fail to "give credit" to Christ?

We all have the right to freedom of religion, which is guaranteed to us in the Constitution. Why should other faiths be allowed to celebrate their festivals and their faith as they wish and Christians be denied the same right?

Comments

  1. That woman is an idiot.

    I don't know how else to say it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those were my thoughts, too, and you know, there are many others around like her in this country, including most politicians and the ACLU.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point I would never have a problem with a Jewish or Muslim business owner celebrating their holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pre-Vatican II, the Church was more inclusive - we recognised the Jews were the reason for the Easter Season.

    Oops ... can't believe I said that out loud. Joke!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and are published at the blogger's discretion.

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots