A MARY GARDEN: A PATH TO CONTEMPLATION

A WATER LILY IN MY GOLDFISH POND
This is a photo my husband, Bill, took with our new digital camera of our goldfish pond in the back yard. We are hoping to transform the pond and the flower garden into a Mary garden.
The pond was here when we moved into our new home and there are many beautiful flowers and plants that surround it. The white water lilies which have been blooming there remind me of our Holy Mother -- so pure and delicate (tender). We also have a beautiful bush with small, very fragrant white tinged with purple flowers surrounding the pond area, as well as a large bush with white roses in another area of our back yard. It seems as if Mary's beauty is everywhere. Now, all we need is a beautiful outdoor statue of Mary -- something sturdy in this windy, tornado prone Kansas weather, perhaps protected by a stone grotto like the one we had in our yard when I was a child, formed and created by my father's strong hands.
Many important events were celebrated at that grotto which was constantly adorned with roses or peonies or whatever flower happened to be in season at the time. My first Holy Communion photo at age 6 was taken there, with my dad crouching next to me, smiling proudly, while I stood there, leaning against him, with my nearly toothless smile, dressed in my beautiful ivory "Bride's" gown and veil, beaming with joy. I had accepted my "Groom" into my heart and soul, and I knew then that this had to be the happiest day of my life. It just couldn't get any better than this. Jesus, was in me, and through the sacrament of Confession, I had become purified and made beautiful for him. Like Mary, I had become His pure white tabernacle.
Confirmation, graduations, and every special feast day of Mary were celebrated in front of the Mary grotto. It was a wonderful place to gather round and recite the rosary and say prayers of thanksgiving, as well as to request special intentions from the one whose heart is closest to Jesus.
Now that we have a beautiful flower garden and pond befitting Mother Mary, I want to create the most beautiful garden possible for the Mother of God, who has been my help for so many years. I want to create more memories and express my love for her in this simple way. Like many of the contemplatives I admire so much, including: St. Francis of Assisi, St. Therese of Lisieux, and St. Rose of Lima, who lived close to nature and grew closer to God through their interaction with their environment, I yearn for that same kind of intimacy with my Creator and desire it also for my family and friends.
For more information on Mary Gardens, go here.
I would love to hear from others who have a Mary Garden or are dreaming of having one.

Comments

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots