Getting into the Christmas Spirit: A Concert and A Movie (Our Lady of Guadalupe)

This has been a busy time of preparation for Christmas for me. I am doing a little reading, some writing, some celebrating, some house cleaning, some baking, and winding up my shopping. And, of course, daily Mass, daily rosary, recitation of the Liturgy of the Hours, spontaneous prayer, and Eucharistic Adoration are all a part of my preparation spiritually.

Yesterday, I went to a Christmas concert at church and it was magnificent! I couldn't believe how much talent we have in our parish. The singing was truly of professional quality.

The concert included: Overture from Unto Us a Child is Born by J.S. Bach (organ), a female duet singing Not That Far from Bethlehem, a female trio singing Mary Sat A-Rocking (quite jazzy), Gloria in Exclesis Deo (organ), a coed ensemble singing Breath of Heaven, Whisper of Angels sung by a woman who could be Joan Baez's twin (What a beautiful voice!), a men's ensemble singing As Lately We watched, Christmas Solstice (on the organ), Angel's Carol by the choir, and Carol for Advent, and Allelulia, He is Coming by the combined choirs.

This is the first time in many years that I haven't been involved in the Music Ministry. I miss it a lot but have more than enough on my plate now. In fact, my physician has asked me to cut back on some of my apostolates for health reasons. She told me that I am doing way too much (So what else is new?) I am trying to take her advice - after all, there is still unpacking that needs to be done and some storage containers to be unloaded from our move to this area 14 months ago (two moves in that time). And, of course, I am making exercise a priority. (I am excercising the jaws less and the body more.)

After the concert, we went to see Our Lady of Gaudalupe, which just melted my heart. It is not a high budget film, but a simple one, albeit with several different story lines. It is a Spanish movie with English subtitles and be prepared to read quickly - there's no snoozing during this movie. I liked it and so did my husband.

The film takes place in modern day Mexico and and tells the story of a brother and sister team of archeologists, Jose Maria and Mercedes, who decide to investigate the case of Our Lady of Guadalupe. What they discover changes their lives forever.

Through their scientific research, the two discover, each in their own way, the true message that the Blessed Virgin Mary reveals at Guadalupe: that we are to live in harmony and peace with one another and to have faith and hope.

This movie is a gem. While the characters and dialogue seem a little simplistic at times - the message is powerful one - and the story is one you won't forget. It contains very touching and tender love stories on both the human and the spiritual levels.

I give it three *** of 4 stars. It is very good. Don't miss it!

To see the trailer and to learn more about the film go here.

Comments

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots