The Dangers of Depo-Provera

What is Depo-Provera?

Depo-Provera is the marketing name for the most widely used injectable method of birth control in the world (depot medroxyprogesterone acetate, or DMPA).

Depo-Provera is a long-acting, man-made hormone. It has been available in some parts of the world for 20 years or more and has been used by doctors specifically to abort children. That is why Depo-Provera was not approved in the U.S. until recently.

How does Depo-Provera work?

Depo-Provera is an injection. It can work in one of three ways:
It can prevent ovulation (releasing an egg from the ovary);
It can cause the mucus in the cervix to change so that if sperm reach the cervix, they are not allowed to enter; and
It can irritate the lining of the uterus so that if either of the above fail-and a pregnancy does occur-the tiny baby boy or girl will die before he or she can actually implant in the lining of the uterus.


In other words, if a woman is pregnant, her body rejects the tiny baby and he or she will die. This is called a chemical abortion.
Abortion is an act of direct killing that takes the life of a tiny human being-a life that begins at fertilization.


Is Depo-Provera safe?

Definitely not. Here are some of the side effects:

excessive bleeding
temporary or permanent sterility
potential damage to future children
increased risk of cervical cancer
risk of breast cancer
headaches
abdominal discomfort
anxiety
nervousness
adrenal gland suppression (slows the production of some of the body's natural hormones)
excessive weight gain
hair loss
decreased libido (sex drive)
mood swings
dizziness
fatigue
allergic reactions causing rash or itching
severe mental depression


Depo-Provera also offers no protection against sexually transmitted diseases including AIDS.

I would like to mention here that a member of my own family was a very healthy and active 19 - year - old prior to taking Depo-Provera. After taking it for only a short time, she developed a rapid - growing tumor located near her heart. She required immediate major surgery for the tumor, which resulted in a long and painful surgical recovery. Consequently, her education was delayed and her life was put on hold.

I have personally heard of some very devastating effects of this drug on women of all ages in my counseling. It is bad medicine for a doctor to prescribe this drug. The adverse effects listed above are only those we currently know about. What are the long-term effects? Is sexual intercourse worth this kind of pain? Why would any woman want to jeopardize her health in this way? No amount of sexual pleasure is worth the physical, emotional, psychological or spiritual pain that this dangerous drug imposes on a woman's body.

Source:

Comments

  1. I am another woman who is certain that Depo is not safe. I had very bad side effects after one shot (excessive bleeding - for 30 days!) and am very certain it is what precipitated the rapid growth of fibroid tumours in my 26 year old body. I had a hysterectomy at age 28 because of the size of the fibroids. If I could turn back time, I would have stayed away from it with a ten-foot pole, but the doctors did not care one bit. They thought I was the expert - definitely not the case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Janet Smith and i would like to show you my personal experience with Depo-Provera.

    I am 38 years old. I have been taking Depo-Provera for 8 years. This drug may not be the answer for everyone but for me without it my life is not pleasant. Bleeding in my shoes for days each month, terrible to the floor cramping and pain. First shot, period gone, have gone off it, takes months for it to come back but when it does it is just as bad. My mood changes when I am due to have my shot, I can feel it happening, and I will admit that I depend on it to keep me more level. I can feel the PMS when my 12 weeks is up, during the 12 weeks I have no side effects. My mom has some bone density issues and my doctor has suggested that perhaps I go off, not going to happen, it is monthly miracle, and although I understand the effects are different for everyone I say sometimes to have a more normal cycle you need to not have one.

    I have experienced some of these side effects-
    possibly weight gain, had been gaining weight before, mood swings when I need to get my shot, none that I get complaints about when I am on it, decreased sex drive

    I hope this information will be useful to others,
    Janet Smith

    Depo-Provera Side Effects

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and are published at the blogger's discretion.

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots