Feast of the Holy Face of Jesus


On April 17th, 1958, His Holiness Pope Pius XII confirmed the Feast of the Holy Face of Jesus on Shrove Tuesday (Tuesday before Ash Wednesday) for all the dioceses and religious orders who would ask for the Indult from Rome in order to celebrate it.

Sister Pierina, a holy nun who died in 1945, was urged in many visions by the Blessed Mother and Jesus Himself to spread the devotion to the Holy Face, in reparation for the many insults Jesus suffered in His Passion, such as to be slapped, spit upon and kissed by Judas, as well as now being dishonored in many ways in the Blessed Sacrament by neglect, sacrileges and profanations.

She was given a medal, which on one side bore a replica of the Holy Shroud and the inscription: “Illumina, Domine, vultum tuum super nos”.(Psalm 66) which means“May, O Lord, the light of Thy countenance shine upon us”. On the reverse side was a radiant Host, with the words, “Mane nobiscum, Domine” which means “Stay with us, O Lord”.

After great difficulties, Sister Pierina obtained permission to the have the medal cast. Even the expenses for the casting were miraculously met when she found on her desk an envelope with the exact amount of the bill.

In the words of Our Lord to Sister Pierina:

“See how I suffer. Nevertheless, I am understood by so few. What gratitude on the part of those who say they love me. I have given My Heart as a sensible object of My great love for man and I give My Face as a sensible object of My Sorrow for the sins of man. I desire that it be honored by a special feast on Tuesday in Quinquagesima (Shrove Tuesday – the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday). The feast will be preceded by a novena in which the faithful make reparation with Me uniting themselves with my sorrow.”

You can learn more about this devotion at Holy Face Devotion and at the Holy Face Association.

Source

Photo Source: My thanks to LYL

Comments

  1. Jean, I am so happy you posted this! Mahalo and God bless,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Esther.


    In the love of Jesus & Mary,
    Jean

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and are published at the blogger's discretion.

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots