What do you mean no free refills?

Gerald has been blogging from Rome and has some hilarious comments that I can relate to about the differences between our cultures that can be quite frustrating. He expresses it so well here:

As Americans *and I've lived in the USA for 10 years, so the inculturation is complete, some things strike us a bit odd in " no free refills. Don't even ask. Often Coke will cost more than wine or beer. I am a Coke Zero addict.

Help!" no ice cubes, frequently. I remember, right after I came to the USA, I suffered a few brain cramps from the cold drinks, now I miss the ice"

You call that a car? Most cars here look like something a real car just gave birth to. "Smart Cars" and the like abound here. Then again, you wouldn't be able to drive on many 'roads' in a Dodge Ram. I don't think I've seen an SUV yet."

People are quite loud here, children especially. I was in a church earlier and two Italian women came in, not 'piping down' whatsoever. I guess though that more devout people don't talk loudly in church"

Driving - yikes! Driving seems to be considered a contact sport, a lot of people drive quite madly"

St. Peter's is the tallest building, by law - no high rises here*

Graffiti - it is EVERYwhere! In the USA, it is usually confined to not so great neighborhoods, but I've even seen it up here on the Aventine. In the suburbs (which are different from American suburbs, more like "urban") every house is covered in graffiti, including churches. Horrid. And, it's in the exact same styles as American ghetto graffiti.

I'm adding a few of my own:

What no public toliets here or anywhere nearby? Ok, I'll walk to that restaurant 5 miles down the road - I really have to go.

You call that a toliet? But it's only half a toliet! We paid for this?

Finally, a restroom with toliet paper! It's one sheet apiece or there won't be enough for the two of us. Here, use some of my soap - I brought my own.

But it's 30 degrees colder inside this church than it is outside! We can see our breath in here.

Put your coat on - we're entering another church.

Watch it! Another cab is coming this way and it's headed right for us.

Twenty euros for a cab? But it's only two miles from here. I think I'll walk.

Do you have any beef? Do you eat meat here? Where can I find a restaurant with steak? Chicken? No, beef. Pasta? No pasta. Where's the beef?

Are dogs allowed in church here? I guess - if they're well-behaved. You see them everywhere.

Yes, there are baby SUV's in Italy - they are about the size of a volkswagen beetle. You have to be a dwarf to fit into the cars there. If you are taller than 4'11" and weigh more than 90 lbs. don't even try to get into one of the vehicles there.

If you want to risk your life taking a cab in Rome be sure to cover your ears so you don't hear the loud non-stop cursing of the cab driver and those he nearly collides with and cling to your rosary. Pray that you'll still be alive when you reach your destination.

Comments

  1. LOL!
    Here are a couple of my cultural clashes in Florence:
    "Whaddya mean I gotta pay to sit down while I drink this thimbleful of espresso?!"
    "Oh, thank Heavens, it's not a communist takeover, Florence finally beat the Neopolitans in soccer!"
    Buona pascua, Jean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Those are great, Leticia!

    I didn't dare drink any of the expresso while I was there as I can't even handle coffee (with caffeine) but those who did drink it were really wired and seemed to have to use the bathroom a lot. They stood up after walking for miles to avoid having to pay for sitting at the tables.

    I had a chicken sandwich with bottled water and gelato was able to sit while eating for a long time. I love the gelato there!

    I was on a wheat-free diet so you can imagine how difficult it was for me to find something to eat while I was there. I ate a lot of veggies, fruits, bean soups, and yogurt (most of which I purchased myself at the grocery store.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and are published at the blogger's discretion.

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots