A New Book Meme

I found this at Tigerish Waters.

1) Which book do you irrationally cringe away from reading, despite seeing only positive reviews?
Henry Nouwen -- My Spiritual Father has steered me away from his books.

2) If you could bring three characters to life for a social event (afternoon tea, a night of clubbing, perhaps a world cruise), who would they be and what would the event be?
I would like to join St. Therese and her sisters, Pauline and Celine, for an afternoon tea at Carmel, and also have the opportunity to watch Therese act in the play, St. Joan of Arc.

3) (Borrowing shamelessly from the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde): you are told you can’t die until you read the most boring novel on the planet. While this immortality is great for awhile, eventually you realize it’s past time to die. Which book would you expect to get you a nice grave? I have yet to read a boring novel -- most likely because I would have closed the book and returned it to the library if I did and then have forgotten all about it. Anything really long (500+ pages) tends to turn me off. I think I started War and Peace once but was intimidated by its lenghth and stopped reading it.

4) Come on, we’ve all been there. Which book have you pretended, or at least hinted, that you’ve read, when in fact you’ve been nowhere near it? I don't pretend to read about something I haven't.

5) You’re interviewing for the post of Official Book Advisor to some VIP (who’s not a big reader). What’s the first book you’d recommend and why? (If you feel like you’d have to know the person, go ahead and personalize the VIP).

If he/she hasn't read the Bible, that's the first book I would recommend. If he or she has already read that then I would recommend Modern Day Saints by Ann Ball.

6) A good fairy comes and grants you one wish: you will have perfect reading comprehension in the foreign language of your choice. Which language do you go with? I have taken Latin and Spanish, but would like to have perfect reading comprehension in Latin.

7) A mischievous fairy comes and says that you must choose one book that you will reread once a year for the rest of your life (you can read other books as well). Which book would you pick?
The Bible

8. What’s one bookish thing you ‘discovered’ from book blogging (maybe a new genre, or author, or new appreciation for cover art-anything)?G. K. Chesterton

9) That good fairy is back for one final visit. Now, she’s granting you your dream library! Describe it. Is everything leather bound? Is it full of first edition hardcovers? Pristine trade paperbacks? Perhaps a few favorite authors have inscribed their works? Go ahead-let your imagination run free.

It would a large sunlit room overlooking the rose garden and the lilac bushes and would contain thousands of leather bound first editions with each of the authors personal words to me plus their autograph. All the chairs would be either cloth or leather Lazyboys in blues, greens, and beige colors and a plush carpet containing those colors. The library would also contain a beautiful gas fireplace for cool days/nights. And, of course, part of the library would be a snack room with a refrigerator containing fresh organic fruit, raspberry and cherry scones, my favorite herbal teas, and bottles of spring water. The library would also contain my own oak table and chair, my Dell computer and printer with ergonomically designed chair, a print on demand machine like the one you see here. The room would also contain a wide variety of CD's to listen to in a smaller sound proof room within the library and DVD's to watch in another sound proof room on a huge screen, while sitting in the auditorium seats. My library would have to have one of those secret passages like Zorro had in his and this secret passage would lead to the cellar, containing all of my favorite wines and those of my guests.

I will tag the following people for this meme:

1. Alexandra
2. Jackie
3. Kathleen
4. Ginny
5. Ebeth
6. Marie
7. Marilena

Plus anyone else would like to do this, please be my guest. Just please leave a note in the comment section and link to me.

Comments

  1. Oh, heckers Jean, I was going to tag you having just done this but you beat me to the punch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had the same answer I did for #1.

    I think #2 was a question about fictional characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jean,

    I will get started on this one!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and are published at the blogger's discretion.

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots