Lenten Meme

Esther tagged me for this meme about a week ago and I'm just now getting to it.

1. What’s been your best Lenten-effort-idea ever?
Replacing my jewelry with medals. At one time, I wore a few rings on my fingers and at least one necklace or chain. Now the only jewelry I wear is my wedding ring and a pair of earrings. I wear a miraculous medal and a scapular medal around my neck now.

2. And your worst?
Trying to go completely without TV -- I am able to cut down, but haven't been able to completely eliminate the habit.

3. What Lenten advice would you share?
Try to select a goal that you are capable of achieving, for example, if you have trouble giving up chocolate or coffee completely and have caffeine withdrawl symptoms (like bad headaches and extreme grumpiness) then you're not doing yourself or anyone else a favor by totally eliminating it from your diet. Try reducing the number of cups of coffee or the amount of chocolate you are consuming. Also you don't always have to give something up. Perform a positive act -- like visiting someone in a nursing home or serving in a soup kitchen or performing a duty that your spouse usually performs that you know he / she dislikes. Finally, carrying out your vocation by dutifully performing those everyday tasks that you dislike without complaining, is one of the best penances you can offer up for Lent.

4. And what will feature this year?
There are many ways I want to grow spiritually this Lent in all three areas: fasting, prayer, almsgiving. I am trying to do something specific in each category. What I am doing, I am doing in secret -- not letting my left hand know what my right is doing. For Lenten ideas for adults see my post here and go here for Lenten ideas for children.

I will tag:

Margaret Mary

Leticia

Alexandra

Paul

and anyone else who is reading this and hasn't done it yet. (Just leave a message in my comment box.)

Comments

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and are published at the blogger's discretion.

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots