IL Governor Blagojevich arrested on Federal Charges


~ Via DJJOS.

Gov. Rod Blagojevich and his chief of staff, John Harris, were arrested today by FBI agents for what U.S. Atty. Patrick Fitzgerald called a "staggering" level of corruption involving pay-to-play politics in Illinois' top office.

Blagojevich is accused of a wide-ranging criminal conspiracy, including alleged attempts by the governor to try to sell or trade the U.S. Senate seat left vacant by President-elect Barack Obama in exchange for financial benefits for the governor and his wife. Blagojevich also is accused of obtaining campaign contributions in exchange for other official actions.
Blagojevich was taken into federal custody at his North Side home this morning--one day shy of his 52nd birthday.

At a news conference late this morning, Fitzgerald said Blagojevich "has taken us to a truly new low" and went on "a political corruption crime spree. We acted to stop that crime spree."

Fitzgerald also accused Blagojevich of attempting "to sell the U.S. Senate seat" that President-elect Barack Obama vacated. MORE

Michelle Malkin has the details here: Corruptocrat alert: Blagojevich taken into custody by FBI; conspired to sell/trade Senate seat, HHS position, stifle newspaper

Jill Stanek's latest update: Again, given what I'm hearing as to the breadth of Blagojevich's alleged corruption, I would bet Planned Parenthood and the abortion industry have schemed with Blagojevich at some point(s). I just hope, given the magnitude of these alleged crimes, PP et al aren't too small fish. Fitzgerald is calling this a "political corruption crime spree."

My Comment: Yes, I'm sure they have and I pray that their actions will also be identified and justice will be done. We all know that Blagojevich tries to be a dictator in IL, using his executive order to promote his pro-death agenda, but as to the extent of his corruption in politics, we were not fully aware and this indeed is shocking. This is hard-core corruption, dirty politics at its worst. I think it's interesting that he and Obama were such good friends and political cohorts.

Paul, the regular guy also reports on this story today and comments: So it looks like we'll be short a governor, as well as a senator, for a while in Illinois. In Blagojevich's case, no one doing that job is a big improvement. And I expect Lt. Gov. Quinn will be a bigger improvement still. I wonder how long Blagojevich will hold on? Patrick Fitzgerald must have a pretty strong case to be arresting a sitting governor.

Although I am no longer an IL resident, Paul, based on everything I have heard from family and friends, and what I experienced during Blagojevich's term as governor, I totally agree with you - "no one doing the job would be a big improvement". I don't know who was worse -- Former Governor Ryan or Governor Rod Blagojevich.

Comments

  1. Jean, I wasn't here for Gov. Ryan, but I can't imagine he was as bad as Blagojevich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth hurts! Forgive me for smiling...

    What is the record now? If I'm not mistaken, 3 of the last 6 governors of Illinois are in prison, or have served time in prison.

    Do they think they are above the law?

    ReplyDelete
  3. what's all this talk about calling for Blagojevich to "resign?" ... "throw him in prison" sounds a lot more fitting

    it gives me chills to see how calm and collected he continues to act

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and are published at the blogger's discretion.

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots