St. Louis Catholics to join Notre Dame Protest


Dozens of St. Louis Catholics are planning to travel to South Bend, Indiana to take part in May 17 protests against the University of Notre Dame’s decision to host President Barack Obama as commencement speaker and to award him an honorary law degree.

The protesters from the St. Louis area are being organized by John Ryan, a 56-year-old member of Most Sacred Heart Parish in Eureka, Missouri. An announcement from Ryan says the group aims to confront the "scandal" caused by University of Notre Dame President Fr. John I. Jenkins’ decision "to honor the most pro-abortion President in history." The group also intends to "make amends for the damage this scandal has caused the Church."

Describing its motives, the announcement cites President Obama’s decision to overturn the Mexico City Policy and to expand federal funding for human embryonic stem cell research.

"The minute I heard about this, I knew I had to find every Catholic I could and be on that campus that day," Ryan said, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "Similar scandals have been going on at Catholic universities for decades, but you can’t really get any worse than this." Read more here.

Comments

  1. I will keep all these people in my prayers. I know the white house occupant does not like it when people don't like him, so I will be saying several rosaries for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very encouraging that plans like this are being made. My son, an alumni, will be on campus protesting (and praying.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and are published at the blogger's discretion.

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots