Strength for Today


This short responsory from today's Morning Prayer touched my heart:


God will look on her and give her strength.
God is in her, she will not be shaken.

This not only describes today's saint, St. Agatha, who "went to prison with joy and pride as though she had been invited to a feast" and "offered her martyrdom prayerfully to the Lord", but it is a passage that is meant for each one of us. For, no matter what hardships or trials we are facing, God gives us His strength. For some of us who deal with chronic pain, just getting out of bed each day can be a challenge. For mothers, who have so many responsibilities, and face even the greater challenge of raising their children to be good Christians in a depraved society, dealing with the day to day challenges in life can sometimes seem overwhelming. For single women, who must deal with the challenges of the work place and the secular mentality that is at odds with their faith, it can appear to be an impossible task. However, nothing is impossible with God. He will give us the strength not only to bear our daily trials and burdens, but to rise above them and to ultimately triumph. Through prayer and frequent reception of the sacraments, especially the Holy Eucharist, He showers us with an abundance of graces. Through His graces, He provides us with supernatural strength to live holy lives. There is nothing that can shake us or disturb us if we allow God to take control and unite our will to His. Let us open the floodgate to those graces by opening the door of our hearts and permitting Him to enter.

~ © Jean M. Heimann, February 5, 2010

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing this Jean. Great reminder to let God into our hearts. My prayer some days is that once I invite Him in that I don't chase Him away. My sin, that secular mentality that you speak of and all of the trappings of this world try to take me from Him. Thankfully, when we are ready, He calls us back home again.

    I'll be sharing this post @catholicart on Twitter. Thank you again, Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jean, for your blogs about St. Agatha and your reflection. Today is my daughter's one year birthday and after I read your bio on St. Agatha, I wrote a blog about how I want my daughter to follow in the path toward holiness and purity as St. Agatha did. I also linked to your blog. Thank you for your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome, Scott and Sarah. Thank you both for sharing this with others. I'm happy that my thoughts and words are inspiring to you.

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and are published at the blogger's discretion.

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots