Five Tips for Receiving The Holy Eucharist on the Tongue



Five tips on receiving the Holy Eucharist on your tongue:


Open your mouth wide. Make your mouth into a landing pad, not a quarter slot.


Stick out your tongue. Don't be embarrassed.


Close your eyes. Why? If you leave your eyes open you'll be tempted to move your head toward the priest. Moving targets are hard to hit. Close your eyes and keep your head still.


Don't bite the hand that feeds you. Sticking out your tongue will insure that his hand doesn't come into contact with your teeth (or lips - gross!)


Please do not chew the Holy Eucharist. Let it soften in the mouth and then swallow. By doing this, you'll avoid having the smallest particle of Our Lord stuck in your teeth where it might be desecrated later by coming into contact with the profane.

H/T: Taylor Marshall

Comments

  1. Good tips! Since I grew up after Vatican II I usually use my hands when receiving Holy Eucharist. I should start receiving the Eucharist on my tongue, but you know how old habits are hard to break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice! I do have a comment about not chewing; I've done both (letting Eucharist dissolve and chewing) I remember a discussion once on an EWTN show about this, the one where Father Levis and Father Trigilio would answer questions that viewers had submitted. They said that when Jesus commanded us to eat his flesh, the Greek (or maybe it was the Hebrew, I don't remember) word for eat they used meant "chew" or "gnaw," and therefore it was OK to chew the Holy Eucharist. We devour Him, as it were. I don't think He stays on my teeth too long! :D Food for thought. My conclusion is that it doesn't matter all that much.

    Thanks for your great blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and are published at the blogger's discretion.

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots