Pope blesses baby in womb of pregnant Olympic athlete




December 18, 2012. (Romereports.com) Valentina Vezzali is an Italian athlete, winner of two Olympic medals from the London games. The Pope blessed her future child in an unusual gesture that is becoming increasingly common in parishes around the globe. Last year, the Vatican approved a formula for these types of blessings.  

VALENTINA VEZZALI
Olympic Medalist, London 2012
-Holy Father, I wanted to ask you for a special blessing... I'm expecting a child.
-How far along are you?
-He is due in May. After the Olympics, the Lord gave me this victory which is greater than any Olympic gold medal, it's a blessing. I'm thankful to God for being on my side and for helping me get great results in sports. I hope to be a good exemple for youths and to be a good Christian.

During the Synod of Bishops on the New Evangelization, the vice-president of the American bishops conference, Joseph Kurtz, proposed that this blessing be carried out in parishes all over the world. He said it helps show the dignity of life, and becomes a source of happiness and calm for mothers, knowing their child has divine protection.

Comments

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots