Thursday, January 09, 2014

Dr. Taylor Marshall: Did the Beatles Promote Abortion?

Ed Sullivan with the Beatles (1964)

I have just been reading Dr. Taylor Marshall's eye-opening post on the Beatles. His "little study" on their two albums is certainly shocking, to say the least. I am a child of the "60's" and enjoyed their early music, as did all the other Catholic girls I knew. The first time I heard their music was in early 1964 on Chicago's WLS radio. They were singing I What to Hold Your Hand and that was the song that won my heart. Although I was a fan, I don't recall ever seeing the album covers Marshall analyzes.

When the Beatles appeared on "The Ed Sullivan Show" on February 9, 1964, presenting themselves to the American public for the first time, they appeared to be clean-cut (although our parents didn't agree), attractive, fun-loving young men who were tremendously talented.  America instantly fell in love with them. At that time,  I Want To Hold Your Hand was in the midst of a seven-week run at No. 1. More than 2 million copies of the single had been sold in the U.S. and it was still flying off shelves.

As time went on, the group seemed to become more bizarre. Their hair grew a lot longer, they dressed differently, got into drugs (LSD), and the lyrics of their music changed.

Was it drugs, fame, or something else that changed them?  Check out the story on his blog -- it is definitely controversial and thought-provoking!

No comments: