Friday, June 13, 2014

Seven Quick Takes: Bargains, Father's Day, and Saints

Hosted at Team Whitaker.


This was a busy week for me, considering that I tend to slow things down a bit during the summer months.

First, I spent a lot of time shopping at garage sales -- where else can you get such great bargains? Tops -- $1.00 each, even a nice dress for $1.00.


Second, I celebrated Father's Day early with my husband by doing what he enjoys most -- studying American history firsthand--by visiting the Old CowTown Museum (which is actually Wichita, Kansas in the 1800's) and going out to eat supper at the Longhorn Steak House (where I was able to order shrimp, asparagus, and other tasty and healthy treats).


Speaking of Father's Day, this past week we celebrated the feast days of some wonderful saints who are great models for men as well as women -- they are certainly inspiring to me. St. Anthony of Padua, the Wonder-Worker, is a power house when it comes to miracles. My dad introduced me to him. He is the patron saint of practically everything -- similar to St. Joseph. What an amazing man he was! If you have not yet watched Saint Anthony: The Miracle Worker of Padua, I highly encourage you to do so. It is one of my favorite films and is an exciting and true - to -life story of this great saint's life.


Blessed John Dominici  is a wonderful example of a man who was determined to live out his full potential, using all his gifts to serve the Lord, overcoming his weaknesses.


St. Gaspar Bertoni is a holy man who achieved way beyond expectancies. Fr. Donald Saulier, C.S.S. shares the following about St. Gaspar: "During his life, he was able to stand up tremendous pressure, often facing formidable odds."


To guide us all on the path to sainthood, Pope Francis explains how the beatitudes serve as as a program for holiness in the spiritual life.


Have a great weekend and a Happy Father's Day!!!

No comments: