7 Quick Takes: Our Lady, Saints, Snowbirds, and Labor Day



This week has been a busy one for me - filled with appointments and new projects. It has also been a week in which I celebrated the historical feast of  Our Lady of Czestochowa: The Black Madonna, as well as the feasts of some of my favorite saints.

1.  We celebrated St. Augustine's feast day yesterday, August 28th. He has long been a saint after my own heart -- a theologian, great Doctor of the Church, and one of the most prolific writers of his time.  His conversion story is beautiful and one that I can relate to in my own life as a revert to the Catholic faith, but what is most amazing about his life is the fact that he remained faithful and grew in holiness and virtue, becoming a saint. I added some wonderful quotes to this post, which reveal the beauty of his love for the Lord.

2.  On Wednesday, I wrote about St. Monica: Model of Evangelization, who reminds me of my own mother in that like Monica, she, too, prayed with persistence, patience, and tenacity for her child to turn away from sin and return to the one true faith. Similar to St. Monica, she also joyfully experienced the fruit of her prayers -- the conversion of her child after many long years of prayer.

3.  On Tuesday, we celebrated the 104th birthday anniversary of Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta. I share some brand new links and some pity quotes there. One of my all-time favorite quotes is: "Any country that accepts abortion is not teaching its people to love, but to use any violence to get what they want. This is why the greatest destroyer of love and peace is abortion." Now that is powerful!

4.  On Monday, I blogged about two marvelous saints in my posts, St. Joseph Calasanz, patron of Catholic schools, and  Five Favorite Quotes from St. Louis IX.

5. Today, I posted on St. John the Baptist, the only saint who occupies two feast days on the liturgical calendar. He is also the only saint who has a feast day on his birthday; most other saints' feast days are on the day of their death. On June 24,  we celebrate The Nativity of St. John the Baptist and on August 29,  we commemorate The Beheading of St. John the Baptist.  The Roman Missal tells us that after the Feasts of Our Lord, Our Lady, and the angels, the next most important is the Feast of St. John the Baptist.

6. Fun Friday pop quiz: What is the last song you listened to? Snowbird sung by Ann Murray Check out some interesting song facts about Snowbird.

7. Happy Labor Day weekend to all! Since I worked all summer without taking a vacation, I am looking forward to a long, relaxing weekend! Have a good one!


Visit Jen at Conversion Diary for more Quick Takes!

Comments

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots