7QT's: Art, Newman, Aquinas, and more



1. Art has always been fascinating to me, especially Catholic art. I have my own small collection of statues, paintings, crucifixes, and other objects of art. I also enjoy portrait sketching and painting myself (when I get a chance). Above is one example of a very old painting of Our Lady of Guadalupe that my mother gave me just before she entered into eternal life.

Recently, I have become acquainted with a local artist, who is also a member of my parish. Born in the hill country near Trieste, Italy, to an Italian mother and American father, Rita Zaudke came to America when she was four years old. She has made many trips back to Italy since then. Inspired by the Italian people, the picturesque villages, and the elaborate architecture, she has produced a collection of beautiful paintings which reflect her love for the country. Take a look at her beautiful work HERE.



2.  For three days this past week, we had record-breaking temperatures in the 70's, so I chose to exercise at the park, where I had this beautiful view of the lake. Temperatures are back to normal now for this time of year -- in the 30's.




3. In 2012, I earned my my Master of Arts in Theology at Newman University and have read and written a great deal about Blessed John Henry Newman. When I saw the above movie clip on his life, I was excited.

Here's the scoop from Ignatius Press: Documentary - DVD - An influential teacher, a distinguished theologian, a man who endured many trials, a father of souls - Blessed John Henry Newman (1801 - 1890) remains as fresh and relevant today as he was during his lifetime. In this engaging film, Fr Nicholas Schofield and Fr Marcus Holden, hosts of several other Ignatius films, present the inspiring story of Newman’s life and visit the places in England where he lived and worked. From London to Oxford, from Littlemore to Birmingham, each revealing an important stage of Newman’s life. Along the way they explore his writings and teachings, his pastoral zeal for his students and parishioners, his journey of conversion to the Catholic faith, and his enduring message for Christians of today.


4. This week we celebrated the Feast of St. Thomas Aquinas. I wrote about his life and also reviewed Peter Kreeft's book Practical Theology: Spiritual Direction from Thomas Aquinas.



5. We also celebrated the feast of another favorite saint -- St. John Bosco, who is a patron and hero of young people. We certainly can use a Don Bosco today!

6. Here is a beauitful quote from Pope Francis on Women transmitting the Faith.


7. My husband told me this afternoon that we had livestock in our yard. I looked out the front door to see this...



Have a wonderful weekend!

Jean

For more Quick Takes, join Kelly.  


Comments

  1. I really enjoyed this Jean. I'm happy to know we have the love of art in common. Have a blessed Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Esther! It is so good to hear from you. I always loved the art posts you had on A Catholic Mom in Hawaii. Remember Fine Art Friday?

    God bless your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and are published at the blogger's discretion.

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots