Saturday, August 01, 2015
St. Alphonsus Liguori, the saint of the day for August 1, is a Doctor of the Church, known for his contribution to moral theology and his great kindness. You can read a brief biography here.
Here are fifteen powerful quotes from this great moral theologian:
1. "Our Savior says, if you have not received the graces that you desire, do not complain to me, but blame yourself, because you have neglected to seek them from me."
2. "Realize that you may gain more in a quarter of an hour of prayer before the Blessed Sacrament than in all other practices of the day."
3. "It is well known, and is daily experienced by the clients of Mary, that her powerful name gives the particular strength necessary to overcome temptations against purity".
4. "I Love Jesus Christ and that is why I am on fire with the desire to give Him souls, first of all my own, and then an incalculable number of others."
5. "He who trusts himself is lost. He who trusts God can do all things."
6. "If we would completely rejoice the heart of God, let us strive in all things to conform ourselves to His divine will. Let us not only strive to conform ourselves, but also to unite ourselves to whatever dispositions God makes of us. Conformity signifies that we join our wills to the will of God. Uniformity means more. Uniformity means that we make one will of God's will and our will. In this way we will only what God wills. God's will alone is our will. "
7. "The sovereigns of the earth do not always grant audience readily; on the contrary, the King of Heaven, hidden under the eucharistic veils, is ready to receive anyone…"
8. "If you pray, you are positive of saving your soul. If you do not pray, you are just as positive of losing your soul. "
9. “Acquire the habit of speaking to God as if you were alone with Him, familiarly and with confidence and love, as to the dearest and most loving of friends. Speak to Him often of your business, your plans, your troubles, your fears— of everything that concerns you. Converse with Him confidently and frankly; for God is not wont to speak to a soul that does not speak to Him.”
10. The more a person loves God, the more reason he has to hope in Him. This hope produces in the Saints an unutterable peace, which they preserve even in adversity, because as they love God, and know how beautiful He is to those who love Him, they place all their confidence and find all their repose in Him alone.
11. "Today God invites you to do good; do it therefore today. Tomorrow you may not have time, or God may no longer call you to do it."
12. "The sufferings endured for God are the greatest proof of our love for Him."
13. "To save our souls we must live according to the maxims of the Gospel, and not according to those of the world."
14. "Do not consider what others do, or how they do it; for there are but few who really work for their own sanctification."
15. "Do not think that Jesus Christ is forgetful of you, since he has left you, as the greatest memorial and pledge of his love, himself in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar."