1. September is the ninth month of the year in the Julian and Gregorian Calendars and one of four months with a length of 30 days. In September, we say goodbye to summer with the official close of the swimming pools and other summer activities. This first day of September was a gorgeous day here in Wichita, Kansas (sunny, in the low 80's with a light breeze), so I decided to celebrate the new month by going on a picnic with my husband at the park. Here are a few photos I took.
2. Here's one of my favorite September songs. Do you remember this?
3. September Marian Feast Days
September 8: Birth of Mary
September 12: The Most Holy Name of Mary
September 15: Our Lady of Sorrows
4. Devotion for the Month of September
The Seven Sorrows of Mary
5. September Poetry
In the Days of the Golden Rod
Across the meadow in brooding shadow
I walk to drink of the autumn's wine
The charm of story, the artist's glory,
To-day on these silvering hills is mine;
On height, in hollow, where'er I follow,
By mellow hillside and searing sod,
Its plumes uplifting, in light winds drifting,
I see the glimmer of golden-rod.
In this latest comer the vanished summer
Has left its sunshine the world to cheer,
And bids us remember in late September
What beauty mates with the passing year.
The days that are fleetest are still the sweetest,
And life is near to the heart of God,
And the peace of heaven to earth is given
In this wonderful time of the golden-rod.
Lucy Maud Montgomery
The golden-rod is yellow;
The corn is turning brown;
The trees in apple orchards
With fruit are bending down.
The gentian's bluest fringes
Are curling in the sun;
In dusty pods the milkweed
Its hidden silk has spun.
The sedges flaunt their harvest,
In every meadow nook;
And asters by the brook-side
Make asters in the brook,
From dewy lanes at morning
The grapes' sweet odors rise;
At noon the roads all flutter
With yellow butterflies.
By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer's best of weather,
And autumn's best of cheer.
But none of all this beauty
Which floods the earth and air
Is unto me the secret
Which makes September fair.
'T is a thing which I remember;
To name it thrills me yet:
One day of one September
I never can forget.
- Hilaire Belloc
6. September Books
These books are on my reading list this month:
Discovery by Karina Fabian
Feeding Your Family's Soul by Donna-Marie Cooper-O'Boyle
A Pathway Under the Gaze of Mary: A Biography of Sister Maria Lucia of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart by Barbara Ernster (Editor), David Carollo (Foreword), Carmel of Coimbra (Author)
7. Here's another great September song.
Have a wonderful weekend!
God bless you!
~ All photos copyright Jean M. Heimann 2016.
For more Quick Takes, please visit Kelly at This Ain't The Lyceum.