MEME: MY TOP TEN GREATEST INFLUENCES, OUTSIDE OF GOD AND MY FAMILY MEMBERS

I have received a meme tag from David of Duc in Altum with the meme, "MY TOP TEN GREATEST INFLUENCES, OUTSIDE OF GOD AND MY FAMILY MEMBERS."

If I were to include my heavenly influences, I would, of course, mention Our Blessed Mother, but I think I would like to limit my list to those human beings I have known in my lifetime who have had a great impact on my life.

These are in no special order:

1. Pope John Paul II -- His encyclicals, his books, his great example as a "suffering servant", and his great love for people throughout his life speak volumes to me. He has influenced the way I think, behave, and interact with other people.

2. Mother Teresa -- This beautiful woman of God has been my inspiration through her living example of love. I have read most of the books she has written and many books about her and I still want to learn more. I can't think of any woman, other than the Blessed Mother, whom I would like to imitate than her.

3. Mother Angelica -- I first became acquainted with Mother in 1992, when I was going through a very difficult time in my life, and she was a strong encouragement for me and taught me the true meaning of suffering.

4. The Brothers of St. John -- I first came to know the Brothers when I made my Consecration to Mary at St. Mark's Church in Peoria, IL approximately 8 years ago. Fr. Joseph Mary Brown and Fr. Antoine Thomas were the Brothers I first met and their deep devotion to Our Blessed Virgin Mary and the wonderful loving way they interacted with others amazed and inspired me. I wanted to be like them so much that I later studied for three years to become an Oblate with the Community.

4. Peggy McGuire -- my best friend. She is a beautiful example of what a best friend is -- not perfect -- but kind, understanding, a great listener and confidante, and loyal, always there for me. Her kindness toward others, her deep faith, and her love towards all are an inspiration to me. Did I mention she has a great sense of humor?

5. Jill Stanek -- Jill Stanek's testimony of babies being born alive left to die at Christ Hospital motivated me to become a pro-life activist.

6. Fr. Clair Bourdereaux, OFM -- I knew Fr. Clair for only a few years, but anyone who met him even for a few moments would probably remember him for a lifetime. He was a very personable, charismatic and saintly French - German American priest who loved the Lord and His Holy Mother probably more than anyone I have personally met. He was the spirtual director to a number of priests and deacons in the Peoria diocese and was my husband's spiritual director as well. He was my Confessor for those few years before he went to his eternal reward.

7. Brother Martin Schmidtz, OFM Conv.-- A holy and loving man, he was my spiritual director for a short time before he returned to Marytown in Libertyville, IL. He taught me the importance of Eucharistic Adoration.

8. Msgr. Reilly - Founder of the Helpers of God's Precious Infants -- I learned about the philosophy and the methods of the Helpers from him.
He taught me why it is so important to stand at the foot of the cross, praying for and loving those who are in most need of Christ's mercy.

9. Ann & Brendan Carolann -- This wonderful couple were like second parents to me -- actually like siblings -- as they don't meet the age requirements for parents. Ann and Brendan sponsored me for Cursillo, got me involved in Renew as a facilitator, and involved in a Catholic Charismatic prayer group. They welcomed me into the parish and helped me hang in there when I returned to the Church in 1987, after a 15 year absence.

10. My fellow Oblates -- I can't single out any one person, but all of the Community is filled with the spirit of love, which characterized St. John and his love for Jesus and the Blessed Mother. The way they live their lives is an inspiration to me.

I will tag the following people:

1.
A Holy Fool
2. Julie D. at
Happy Catholic
3. Barb at
SFO Mom
4. Theophilus at
Vivificat!

Comments

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and are published at the blogger's discretion.

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots