Pro-life Examination of Conscience


"Are we spiritually blind?" This was a question our priest asked in his homily at Mass on Friday. The gospel was about Jesus healing the man who was physically blind, but Father suggested that many of us are spirtually blind. He asked the following questions: "Are we blind to our sins?" "Do we go to Confession at least once a month?" "Do we examine our consciences daily?"

I wonder how many of us examine our pro-life conscinences. How many of us even acknowledge the existence of a pro-life conscience? What are your answers to these tough questions? Or perhaps you think this is not your apostolate or ministry and these questions don't really apply to you. Aren't we all accomplices in pro-life sins if we aren't actively involved in spreading the truth and in defeating the culture of death?


Am I fully convinced that abortion is the destruction of an innocent human life which has the same value as my life, my parents' lives, my children's lives?

Do I foster and nourish this conviction by reflecting often on the tragic loss of life occurring daily around me?

Do I ever allow myself the thought that abortion does not really concern me and that I have "more important" things to do?

Do I believe I am responsible for my pre-born brothers and sisters, and accountable to God for what I do to save them?

Do I pray daily explicitly for an end to abortion?

Do I pray for the babies, the mothers, the abortionists, the legislators, the media, the clergy, and the whole pro-life movement?

Do I fast or make other sacrifices I can really feel?

Or do I believe the fight against abortion can be easy?

Do I try to make it easy and convenient?

Do I take shortcuts in my pro-life commitment?

Do I try to come up with new ideas for pro-life work?

Do I suggest these ideas to others or just forget about them?

Do I give financially to the cause even when it hurts?

Is financial loss on my part worth the life of a child?

Do I have faith that God is the Lord of Life?

Do I believe the whole struggle is in His hands?

Am I willing to give more time to this cause and cut out other activities which are less urgent than life and death?

Do I trust Him! Do I ask His guidance? Do I keep my eyes on Him, or do I allow discouragement in by focusing only on the problem and myself?

Am I learning more about the issues surrounding abortion and about the pro-life movement?

Do I read good pro-life books?

Do I subscribe to at least one pro-life publication so that I can be well informed on the issue?

Do I escape from taking action by thinking that prayer alone is enough?

Do I see pro-life work as a work of love for people who are in need, or is it just an "issue" or a "project" to me?

Do I speak up about pro-life?

Do I make full use of the opportunities I have, such as wearing pins or using bumper stickers or decals?

Do I write letters to the paper or to legislators or to doctors?

Or do I allow my lack of self-confidence to paralyze my activity?

Do I only do what's comfortable, or do I try to expand my skills?

Do I develop my talents, whatever they may be for the pro-life cause?

Are my efforts genuine and generous?

Do I take proper care of myself, physically and spiritually, so that I can be more effective in my pro-life work?

Do I rest when I need to?

Do I gladly participate in projects that need to be done, even if I don't particularly want to?

Do I foster unity in the movement?

Do I encourage my fellow pro-lifers?

Are all of my efforts guided by charity?

Do I allow unhealthy competition between pro-life persons or groups to begin or continue?

Do I follow the advice or direction of those who bear responsibility for pro-life projects or groups, so as to make their task easier?

Do I seek the advice and input of those more experienced in pro-life work?
Do I try to grow in compassion for women who are tempted to have abortions or who have had them in the past?


Do I try to understand their situation and learn more about their needs?

Do I help women find alternatives to abortion?

Do I inspire hope in women I know who have had abortions?

Do I help them find forgiveness and healing?

Am I ready from this day forward to be a better pro-lifer?

Am I ready to launch out with new strength, generosity, and determination to bring an end to abortion, without counting the cost to myself?

Am I grateful enough for the gift of life to work to give life to others?

Do I thank God for the privilege of being part of the pro-life movement?

~ from Priests for Life

Comments

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots