Some Good News: A Meditation and A Prayer

Today I received some unexpected good news -- an article I wrote a few years ago has been published in the Fall 2005 issue of Canticle Magazine.
The article is on Marthe Robin -- a modern day mystic and victim soul, who was born in 1902 on a small farm in southern France. She was influential in advising the founder of my religious community (I am an Oblate, not a professed religious.) -- Fr. Dominique Phillipe, in starting the Community of St. John. Although weak in body, she was strong in spirit and was the spiritual director to many clergy.

I prayed for Mathe's intercession while writing this article, but then had thought that God's answer was "No" because nothing was happening on it. God is forever teaching me patience and perseverance, because I have so little of it. Like many of us living in this fast paced society today, I expect things to move quickly -- a reward upon completion of a task, prayers to be answered immediately after I have finished my nine day novena. After all, I did my part -- now it's time for God to do His.

I have been waiting for Fed-Ex to deliver an important package in the mail. It seems that every week it's the same wait for payday to buy groceries and to pay bills that are due immediately. I wait for mail, wait in line at the store, wait in traffic. Why does it seem like I am always waiting for things? You would think God could answer my prayer and speed things up once in awhile -- just a little?

Hmm...He had to wait 15 years for me to make up my mind to come back to the Church. He patiently waits for me to come and speak to Him in the Adoration chapel while I decide whether or not I want to go there or take a nap or go shopping. He patiently waits for me to come to Him in the Sacrament of Reconciliation while I invent excuses to put it off just a little longer.

Forgive me, Lord, for my impatience, my frustration with waiting on You to answer my prayers, and my desire for control over my life. Help me not to fear, but to place all my concerns and worries in Your hands and to trust in You, especially when things are not going as I think they should. There is so much I want to do and to change in my world, but I need to go at Your pace, not mine. Give me the grace I need to persevere in prayer and surrender my heart to Your will. I ask this through the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Our Holy Mother. Hail Mary...

St. Joseph, pray for us.
St. Therese, pray for us.
St. John, pray for us.
St. Jude, pray for us.
St. Pio of Pietrelcina, pray for us.
St. Francis of Assisi, pray for us.
St. Catherine of Siena, pray for us.
St. Dominic, pray for us.
St. Ambrose, pray for us.
St. Frances de Sales, pray for us.
St. Gianna Molla, pray for us.
St. Maria Goretti, pray for us.
Blessed Mother Teresa, pray for us.
Marthe Robin, pray for us.
Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen, pray for us.
Pope John Paul II, pray for us.
Thank you for all your prayers. Amen.

Comments

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots