The Ways in Which Mother Angelica Has Touched My Life


I have been acquainted with Mother Angelica for approximately the past 14 years now. I “met” Mother the first year of my marriage – a time when I desperately needed a “mother” for encouragement and advice. My own biological mother was living in Texas and was seriously ill – too ill to even speak to me on the phone for more than a few minutes or to write to me as she had done so faithfully in the past during more healthful days.

I had recently moved from a small town in IL to a large city of approximately 100,000, where I knew no one other than my husband. I left a very supportive parish community of close friends where I was active in a number of ministries. Now, I had many changes to adjust to – married life (after 20 years of being a single adult), a brand new career and a new boss (who was emotionally abusive and extremely demanding, insisting that I work 12 hours per day), and a worsening state of health as a result of the stress (Within a years’ time, I was diagnosed with a chronic illness, accompanied by depression.)

In the midst of my trials, I began watching Mother on cable TV and listening to her talk about applying Biblical principles to my daily life. There were many times that I was unable to sleep and I would awaken in the middle of the night and turn on the TV to see Mother’s familiar face and listen to her spiritual advice – she often addressed the current faith crisis I was experiencing and I felt that God was speaking directly to me through Mother. I loved to listen to her stories and jokes which lifted me up in the midst of the pain and the depression. I could always count on Mother for a good laugh – the best medicine for my soul.

Spiritually, Mother has helped me hang in there and realize the value of suffering – what a treasure it can be if one surrenders to God’s will and unites their suffering with that of Our Lord’s on the cross. She has been a wonderful example to me of someone who surrenders her heart and soul to the Lord, relying upon His Divine Providence.

Through Mother, I have developed a strong devotion toward Our Mother Mary and the saints. In fact, I first learned about consecrating myself to Mary through Mother Angelica, which both my husband and I have done. Hearing Mother explain her love for Mother Mary as well as watching her guests discuss consecration to Mary, and the special film on the Life of St. Louis Marie De Montfort all prepared me for my own Consecration.

As a revert to the Catholic Church ( I returned to the Church after a 17 year absence), I have learned the value of prayer, the Mass, the sacraments, and Eucharistic Adoration through Mother and the many programs on EWTN. I especially have benefited from hearing Mother’s personal stories and how she has overcome difficulties in her life by persevering in prayer, frequenting the sacraments, and spending time in Adoration before the Blessed Sacrament – even during times when it seemed humanly impossible for her.

Being able to watch Mass on EWTN and to pray along with the Brothers, Sisters, and Mother Angelica has given me much hope over the years and has not only improved both my physical and emotional health, but it has encouraged me to be a prayer intercessor for others, a strong, active pro-life advocate, and a lay member of a religious community. I am also a volunteer for EWTN now. I don’t believe that any of this would have occurred without the help, work, sacrifice, and prayers of Mother Angelica.

My own mother has long since passed away, but her strong Catholic faith is still a part of me and I thank God for her, as well as the other mothers He has given me – Our Blessed Mother Mary --- and Mother Angelica who has drawn me close to the Heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary and to her Son, Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Comments

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots