Saint of the Day: St. Adrian of Canterbury

St. Adrian was born in Africa in the seventh century and became a Benedictan abbot of a monastery near Naples, Italy. Pope Vitalian chose Adrian to be the Archbishop of Canterbury but he declined, citing his unworthiness, and persuaded the pope to ordain St. Theodore of Tarsus, a Greek monk, instead. The pope agreed and assigned Adrian to be Theodore's companion, assistant, and adviser. Theodore was consecrated archbishop of Canterbury and the two set sail for England.

Theodore then appointed Adrian as abbot of Saints Peter and Paul monastery (which later changed its name to St. Augustine’s in Canterbury.) There he established a flourishing monastic school, where many future bishops and abbots were educated in Latin, Greek, scripture, theology, Roman law and arithmetic. Under his driection, the School of Canterbury became the center of English learning. He taught there thirty-nine years and then died on January 9, 710.

Prayer

January 9 (truth)

O Holy Spirit, Saint Adrian was a highly successful missionary in pagan England, and a great teacher of Bible study. I ask for his same gift of explaining the Faith and understanding the teachings of the Church and the Sacred Scriptures. Anoint me with Your Truth, so that I may be protected from errors and deceptions. Help me to lovingly educate others in how to grow in holiness through what You have revealed in the Bible and the Sacred Traditions of Christianity. Keep me from becoming prideful in my knowledge, and remind me that my most important teaching tool is how I live my life. Saint Adrian, pray for me. Amen.

~ Taken from Daily Prayers with the Saints by Terry Ann Modica

Comments

  1. I am alwas looking for any information on African Saints that I can find to encourage me and my people that we have a place in this Church. Thank you for this information. I,too, want to teach the faith and would like to do it in such a way that it is understood and embraced. I know that it must first come from how I live but also how I study so that I give a correct representation of Christ.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and are published at the blogger's discretion.

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots