Huckabee: The Most Reagan - Like Candidate?




A British author and political observer has written a new book that compares the current Republican presidential candidates to the one they want to be compared to -- Ronald Reagan.

Nicholas Wapshott, founding editor of London's Times, recently published a book called Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher: A Political Marriage. Wapshott has spent a great deal of time comparing the current top-tier GOP candidates to the Reagan model and says former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani falls far short, while Fred Thompson, John McCain, and even Mitt Romney have some Reagan characteristics. But Wapshott says former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee is the closest match -- especially in one important category.


"Like Reagan, he is a true Christian. He has very sure principles. I mean, he's a Baptist minister," says Wapshott. "In the same way ... Reagan learned many of his core values in his family and from his mother's church. [Reagan's] mother was from the Disciples of Christ [denomination] in Dixon, Illinois, where Ronald Reagan learned all his fundamental beliefs."

My Comments: Huckabee does resemble Ronald Reagan in his Christianity and, needless to say, would be a billion times better than Hillary. He has demonstrated that he has the warmth, the charisma, and the communication skills that it takes to be this country's leader. He says that he is pro-life and he talks like someone who respects human life and seems to be a man of integrity, but there are no voting records to check.

I am keeping my eyes on him, but still have some unanswered questions. I hope he comes to Kansas because I would like to meet him and ask him a few questions. Some of these include: Is his wife pro-life? If you read Jill Stanek's column "My pillow-talking presidential pick" awhile back, you'll understand why this is so important. Exactly what does he intend to do to resolve the illegal immigration issue? Will he consistently support pro-life issues on all levels? In other words is he 100% pro-life? How will he handle the conflict in Iraq? What will he do to ensure that more Americans will be covered by health insurance? These are just a few - I have more. I want to see him, shake hands with him, and listen to him speak in person. In the meantime, I'm praying for the guidance of the Holy Spirit for all of us in the next presidential election.

Comments

  1. When you say Mr. Huckabee is a billion times better than Hillary, I think you are exagerating. I think it is more like a billion billion.

    I would also like to see Ducan Hunter to be his running mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me Duncan Hunter is the man. He's no Johnny come lately on ANY of the issues, which is more than I can say for most of them. I don't trust Huckabee a whit on immigration issues for one. Hunter has always been pro-life, keenly understands the issues of the threat of terrorism, was the chair of the House Armed SErvices committee for many years, and all up and down the line meets my expectations in every way. Furthermore, he is my congressman, and he has excellent character.

    For my money, Huckabee doesn't come close. Don't let the talking heads pre-ordain your choice, especially in the primary. Follow this link to see Duncan Hunter's stance on China, Taxes, Health, trade, Prolife, Profamily, national defense, illegal immigration etc. HE is the one the talking head gerbils won't ask questions of, because he IS where mainstream conservatives are, AND he is the one where a lot of Americas are re: this illegal alien crisis.

    In my book there's not even a man remotely as good who is running.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and unlike Huckabee, Duncan Hunter has a record. He does not tell his constituents one thing and do another. I'm not saying Huckabee is a bad person, but he's not nearly as complete on the issues as Duncan Hunter is. We don't need amateur night with the Military in the war on terrorism either. This is not the time to put a beginner in. Duncan is the BEST on ALL those issues. He HAS put his vote where his mouth is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill & Gem of the Ocean,

    I, too, like Duncan Hunter, but truly haven't been able to select that one candidate yet. I need to learn more about them.

    Thanks for the link, Gem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Gem of the Ocean. You are correct about Mr. Hunter. He seems to me my man also. I stand corrected. Thank you for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many catholics are saying Huckabee is the real deal BUT will Huckabee be the "real deal" this weekend December 22-23 when he's speaking at anti-Catholic John Hagee's Cornerstone Church in San Antonio Texas? The Catholic League published an article about Hagee last June titled JOHN HAGEE: VETERAN BIGOT. It's really quite shocking that he would speak at Cornerstone.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and are published at the blogger's discretion.

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots