Is Not Voting a Sin?

From Fr. Frank Pavone, M.E.V.

And What I Have Failed to Do...

What's this I hear from some people that they might "sit out" the Presidential election because they aren't comfortable with the likely choice of candidates?

Since when are elections supposed to make us "comfortable?" Since when do we exercise that right to vote, for which people fought and died, only when it's easy and clear-cut, and our choices are just the way we want them to be?

At Mass we pray, "I confess to Almighty God...that I have sinned...in my thoughts and in my words, in what I have done, and in what I have failed to do..."

What we fail to do can make us just as guilty as what we do. A sin is a wrong choice, and to decide not to do something is just as much of a choice as to decide to do something.

A sin of omission is still a sin - and we are still responsible for the results.

What, then, makes us think that we are more responsible for the results of voting than for the results of not voting?

Read the rest here.

Comments

  1. In Australia voting is compulsary or we face a fine.

    To be honest your election process goes on for much too long..By the time it comes to vote folks are probably SICK of all the electioneering.

    But, voting responsibly should be everyone's priority. What do I mean by responsibly? Dont vote for a Pro-Choice candidate.

    Also Jean why dont Americans like John McCain?..Out of all the candidates he and Huckabee are the ones I prefer:). Don't answer the question hon if you dont have time:).

    Peace to you always:)

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment and your question, Marie. Huckabee is 100% pro-life, pro-family. However, McCain is not.

    Please see the post I put up recently on McCain here http://catholicfire.blogspot.com/2008/02/you-can-keep-mccain-we-dont-want-him.html -- I have written out my concerns in detail. The post is entitled "You can keep McCain: We don't want him!'

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and are published at the blogger's discretion.

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots