Lenten Reading 2009

What will you be reading this Lent?

Here's a taste of some of the books I will be reading:

The Seven Last Words by Fulton J. Sheen

My Catholic Women's Bible (New American) by Fireside Press

The Magnifcat Lenten Companion

Numerous books on the saints -- too many to mention here.


Here are some recommended reads for this Lenten season:


1. Imitation of Christ -- Thomas a Kempis


2. Introduction to the Devout Life -- St. Frances de Sales


3. Journey to Easter by Pope Benedict XVI

4. 12 Steps to Holiness and Salvation -- St. Alphonsus Liguori


5. Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ -- Anne Catherine Emich


6. Kisss from the Cross -- Ronda de Sola Chervin


7. Back to Virtue -- Peter Kreeft


8. Live Well, Die Holy -- St. Robert Bellarmine


9. Self - Abandonment to Divine Providence -- Fr. J.P. De Caussade, S.J.


10. Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius -- St. Ignatius of Loyola


11. The Virtue Driven Life -- Fr. Benedict Groeschel, CFR


12. City of God -- St. Augustine


13. Confessions -- St. Augustine


14. Sinner's Guide -- Venerable Louis of Granada


15. Finding God's Will for You by St. Francis de Sales


16. The Seven Last Words - Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen


17. His Suffering and Ours - Kathryn Mulderink


18. On the Way to Jesus Christ - Joseph Ratzinger - Pope Benedict XVI


19. Amazing Grace for Those Who Suffer - Jeff Cavins and Matthew Pinto

20. Mother Teresa's Secret Fire by Fr. Joseph Langford

Devotionals:

Lent and Easter Wisdom from Fulton J. Sheen

Lenten Magnificat

Now, it's your turn... What will you be reading this Lent?

Comments

  1. I don't need a Sinner's Guide..., I do a good enough job sinning on my own, I don't need help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me it will be "Prayer" by Hans Urs Von Balthasar and "Christ in His Mysteries" by Blessed Columba Marmion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for asking. :)

    I'm going to read some fiction this year, namely the review copy of Infinite Space, Infinite God II edited by Karina and Robert Fabian. Usually, I cut the fiction out of my Lenten reading, but some discernment this year inspired me to list some of the inspired Catholic fiction (and then this manuscript came my way, which fits in perfectly). I'll read Chesterton or Flannery when I'm done with it. I'll also be finishing the Philip Dion book, The Handbook of Spiritual Perfection (EXCELLENT -- HIGHLY recommended), and moving on to some Martin Buber at the recommendation of my SD. I might get some Elisabeth Leseur (spelling?) too.

    In any event, it's always interesting to see what others are reading during Lent. Thanks again for sharing this! :)

    Lenten blessings,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be reading Heaven's Song by Christopher West. My husband and I have studied JPII's Theology of the Body as presented by Christopher West and are looking forward to reading some deeper mysteries from our late Pope JPII.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and are published at the blogger's discretion.

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots