St. Catherine de' Ricci, Mystic and Stigmatist

Alessandra Lucrezia Romola de' Ricci was born in Florence, Italy on April 23, 1522 to a pious and well-respected family. Her mother died when she was a child and she was raised by her devoted stepmother, who encouraged her to live a holy life.

She entered the Dominican convent of Prat at fourteen, taking the religious name Catherine. Plagued by terrible physical pains for two years, she found comfort in meditation upon the Passion of Christ, a devotion that she came to practice with great fervor every week from noon on Thursday to three o’clock on Friday. Catherine received the stigmata of the wound in the side and of the crown of thorns on the brow. In addition to her rich mystical life, she cared for the sick on her knees, especially the poor of the countryside. Having become the prioress of her convent at the age of twenty-five, Catherine gave spiritual counsel to three future popes.

Catherine died on February 2, 1590, was beatified in 1732 by Clement XII, and was canonized by Benedict XIV in 1746.

The Canticle of the Passion was revealed to Catherine immediately after her first great ecstasy of the Passion. Our Lady desired Catherine to spread it as a form of prayer and contemplation pleasing to Our Lord. The Canticle is chanted in some Dominican monasteries on the Fridays of Lent.

THE CANTICLE OF THE PASSION

My friends and My neighbors * have drawn near and stood against Me.
I was delivered up and came not forth; * My eyes languished through poverty.
And my sweat became as drops of blood, * trickling down and upon the ground.
For many dogs have encompassed Me * the council of the malignant hath besieged Me.
I have given My body to the strikers * and My cheeks to them that plucked them.
I have not turned away My face from them that rebuked Me * and spit upon Me.
For I am ready for scourges, * and My sorrow is continually before Me.
The soldiers, plaiting a crown of thorns, placed it upon My head.
They have dug My hands and feet; * they have numbered all My bones.
And they gave Me gall for My food; * and in My thirst, they gave me vinegar to drink.
All they that saw Me laughed Me to scorn; * they have spoken with lips and wagged their heads.
They have looked and stared upon Me; * they parted My garments among them and upon My vesture they cast lots.
Into Thy hands I commend My spirit; * Thou has redeemed me, O God of truth.
Be mindful, O Lord, of Thy servants, * when Thou shalt come into Thy kingdom.
And Jesus having cried out with a loud voice * gave up the ghost.
The mercies of the Lord * I will sing for all eternity.
Surely He hath borne our infirmities * and carried our sorrows.
He was bruised for our sins.
All we, like sheep, have gone astray; * every one hath turned aside into his own way.
For the Lord hath placed upon him * the iniquities of us all.
Arise, why sleepest Thou, O Lord? * Arise and cast us not off to the end.
Behold, God is my Saviour, * I will deal confidently, and will not fear.
We beseech Thee, O Lord, help Thy servants * whom Thou hast redeemed with Thy Precious Blood.
V. Have mercy on us, O benign Jesus. R. Who in Thy clemency didst suffer for us.
Look down, we beseech Thee, O Lord, on this Thy family for which Our Lord Jesus Christ did not hesitate to be delivered into the hands of the wicked, and suffer the torments of the Cross.

Comments

  1. I missed it this year, as it resides on my b-day, there is another Saint mentioned, Giles???

    But i already have it up for February '10, when i turn 40....God forbid, LOL

    Other than a Bob/Penny Lord do you have any other videos regarding this saint, which took her name after St Catherine of Siena, which is our official church for the last 15 yrs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and are published at the blogger's discretion.

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots