St. Brigid of Ireland: My favorite quote

Today the Church commemorates St. Brigid of Ireland, a fifth century convert to Christanity, inspired by the preaching of St Patrick, who founded a double monastery, of monks and nuns, at Kildare, the first women’s monastic community in Ireland. She is the patron saint of babies, blacksmiths; boatmen; cattle; chicken farmers; children whose parents are not married; dairymaids; dairy workers; fugitives; infants; Ireland; Leinster; mariners; midwives; milk maids; newborn babies; nuns; poets; poultry farmers; poultry raisers; printing presses; sailors; scholars; travelers; watermen.

Read more about her at Catholic Culture, New Advent, and at SQPN.

Here is my favorite quote from St. Brigid:

"I would like the angels of Heaven to be among us. I would like an abundance of peace. I would like full vessels of charity. I would like rich treasures of mercy. I would like cheerfulness to preside over all. I would like Jesus to be present. I would like the three Marys of illustrious renown to be with us. I would like the friends of Heaven to be gathered around us from all parts. I would like myself to be a rent payer to the Lord; that I should suffer distress, that he would bestow a good blessing upon me. I would like a great lake of beer for the King of Kings. I would like to be watching Heaven's family drinking it through all eternity."

Comments

  1. "I would like a great lake of beer for the King of Kings. I would like to be watching Heaven's family drinking it through all eternity."

    What a great line, in my case i would alter beer with scotch but the made is made!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and are published at the blogger's discretion.

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots