Solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus


"I promise you in the excessive mercy of my Heart that my all-powerful love will grant to all those who receive Holy Communion on the First Fridays in nine consecutive months the grace of final perseverance; they shall not die in my disgrace, nor without receiving their sacraments. My divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment" (Jesus to St. Margaret Mary).


Today is the Solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. On this feast, we focus our attention on Jesus truly present in the Holy Eucharist and reflect on God’s unconditional love and boundless mercy as symbolized by his heart.

Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus has as its dogmatic foundation the Incarnation of the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity. On account of the hypostatic union, every part of our Lord's Human Nature is worthy of adoration. Hence, therefore, we adore His bodily Heart, beating in His Bosom. We also honor the Heart of Jesus as a reminder, or symbol, of His love for us, and we are moved to make Him a return of love, because He has loved us and He is not loved by men. Love, consecration, and reparation are the characteristic acts of this devotion. In this form it is now solemnly approved by the Church.

On the feast of the Sacred Heart celebrated on the Friday after the Octave of Corpus Christi an act of reparation is prescribed for recitation in every church in the world. On the feast of Our Lord Jesus Christ, King, the last Sunday of October, an act of consecration of the human race is prescribed. Though this devotion was practiced by saintly souls before 1675, it is due to the apparitions of our Lord to Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque in the Visitation Monastery at Paray-le-Monial that the feast of the Sacred Heart is now kept on the day assigned by Our Lord.

Prayers to the Sacred Heart

The Twelve Promises of the Sacred Heart

1. I will give them all the graces necessary in their state of life.

2. I will establish peace in their homes.

3. I will comfort them in all their afflictions.

4. I will be their secure refuge during life, and above all in death.

5. I will bestow abundant blessings upon all their undertakings.

6. Sinners shall find in my Heart the source and the infinite ocean of mercy.

7. Tepid souls shall become fervent.

8. Fervent souls shall quickly move to high perfection.

9. I will bless every place in which an image of my Heart shall be exposed and honored.

10. I will give to priests the gift of touching the most hardened hearts.

11. Those who shall promote this devotion shall have their names written in my Heart, never to be effaced.

12. I promise thee in the excessive mercy of my Heart that my all-powerful love will grant to all those who communicate on the First Friday in nine consecutive months the grace of final penitence; they shall not die in my disgrace nor without receiving their Sacraments. My Divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment.

Comments

  1. Hi,

    I recently came across a webpage that posted the trailer to the Sacred Heart movie. I believe that is was produced by an unknown catholic movie company called: Our Lady's Tears Productions. I purchase the 16 minute DVD for the confirmation class I teach at our parish. It was beautifully done, and helped me discuss the devotion to the Sacred Heart to the kids. The movie acted as a good visual that helped in the story telling of the vision to Margaret Mary Alacoque. Anyways, I thought you would like to know that this really good movie short was out there. Had you heard of it?



    sincerely in Christ



    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,



    I recently came across a webpage that posted the trailer to the Sacred Heart movie. I believe that is was produced by an unknown catholic movie company called: Our Lady's Tears Productions. I purchase the 16 minute DVD for the confirmation class I teach at our parish. It was beautifully done, and helped me discuss the devotion to the Sacred Heart to the kids. The movie acted as a good visual that helped in the story telling of the vision to Margaret Mary Alacoque. Anyways, I thought you would like to know that this really good movie short was out there. Had you heard of it?



    sincerely in Christ



    David

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and are published at the blogger's discretion.

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots