Monday, February 03, 2014
It's time to plan ahead, guys, for that romantic day! If you haven't started yet, now is the time.
1. Attend a Night of Romance in your diocese, like the one offered HERE.
2. Go out to eat at her favorite restaurant, and read a poem you have written just for her. Then, present her with a single long-stemmed red rose.
3. Recreate your first date together, as they did in Parent Trap. Get dressed up and enjoy!
4. Put the children to bed, build a fire and watch your favorite romantic movie together. Share your favorite wine.
5. Wake up extra early Valentine's morning, and make your wife breakfast in bed. Plan ahead, and cook something special like crepes or French toast. If work permits, go in late, and offer to get the kids ready for school while she sleeps in and enjoys her breakfast in bed. Add a favorite latte to her breakfast tray to show her you put in the extra time and thought to make her day.
6. If you want to cook for your wife but mornings just aren't your best time of day, try making her dinner. If she is the one who cooks every evening, she will appreciate the break. Try something fancy like streak or lamb. If cooking isn't in your skill set, you can still impress her with an easier dish like linguine with shrimp and roasted tomatoes. Decorate the table with rose petals, candles, or chocolate. Break out the fancier dishes for this occasion.
7. Take a day trip. Take the day off, and plan all-day sitters for your children. Map the trip beforehand to make the most of your day. Find a cafe for lunch and a romantic venue for dinner. Do your research to find interesting places to go. Create your route to hit hot spots, and plan on doing more than you think you'll be able to.
8. If you don't have time for a date on Valentine's Day, brainstorm early on, and shop for a unique gift that you know she will like. Going out of your comfort zone to choose a gift will impress her, and show her that you are aware of and appreciate her interests.
9. Write a love letter to your spouse telling her how you really feel about her. Write from the depths of your heart and soul about what it means to you to have her in your life. Use passages from Hosea to enhance this.
10. Give her the gift of flowers -- not just what is on sale at the store -- but her favorite flowers and write a romantic message on the card that is attached.