7 Quick Takes: Scott and Kimberly Hahn, K of C Picnic, Mary and Movies



1. This past Saturday, our diocese had a fundraiser for the Midwest Catholic Family Conference, featuring my favorite Catholic speaker, Scott Hahn, whom I have heard speak twice in Illinois and once in Kansas, and his wife, Kimberly, whom I met and heard speak for the first time. I was very impressed with Kimberly and wish I could have visited more with her. The fundraiser was held at Magdalen, which is a huge church, and it was packed. I helped out at the book and CD tables and I couldn't believe all the items sold. The books were flying off the tables like hot cakes! We were all so grateful to them for coming out and doing this. What a wonderful blessing they are!  I hope they will return soon.

2. On Sunday, we had a wonderful time at the Knights of Columbus family picnic! The weather was splendid, the food delicious, and the company delightful!

3. This week we celebrate two Marian feast days: On Monday, the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary and on Friday, the feast of the Holy Name of Mary.

4, On Monday, I wrote a review of a beautiful movie that I had the privilege to preview -- The Song. The Song is a beautiful love story based upon the writings of Solomon in his Song of Songs, which consists of a mosaic of love poems. It is filled with music, romance, and uplifting biblical verses.

5. One movie I want to see is The Giver. I was happy to hear Fr. Robert Barron's commentary on it, which I posted on my blog. This makes me want to see it even more.

6. The fall weather has arrived early this year and I am so happy it has! I love fall -- the cooler weather energizes me and helps me sleep better at night. I love how the leaves change colors -- but it won't be doing that for another month or so. For now, I am satisfied with the long walks I enjoy taking outdoors.

7.  As a reminder, I want to encourage all my readers to Join in the International Week of Prayer and Fasting September 20-28.   With the current state of affairs with Christians abroad (ISIS brutally executing numerous Christians, including the most recent beheading of American journalist Steven Sotloff, and now is targeting Pope Francis), many Christians are left wondering, “What can we do to help our brothers and sisters in Christ who are being persecuted for their beliefs?” This event has a very real call to action which we all can join in on.  You can participate at home or in the festivities in Washington, D.C.  The week formally begins on September 20 with an All Day Prayer Vigil at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, D.C. Guest speakers for the kick-off event include Dr. Scott Hahn, popular speaker and teacher on a wide variety of topics related to Scripture and the Catholic faith and Johnnette Benkovic, founder and president of Women of Grace and Living His Life Abundantly. Learn more about it.

Have a wonderful weekend!!!

For more quick takes, visit Jen at conversiondiary.com



Comments

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots