Surrender It to God




“Our Lord has shown me the way that leads to love – it is the only way that leads to love – it is the way of childlike trust and surrender; the way a child that sleeps is afraid of nothing in its father’s arms.” -- St. Therese of Lisieux

"We can only learn to know ourselves and do what we can - namely, surrender our will and fulfill God's will in us." – St. Teresa of Avila

“Just surrender it to God!” I heard my wise friend saying as I recounted to her the events of the past week. “I am!” I retorted. “I am going to pray for you”, she replied.

I like to think that I am immune to letting my feelings get out of control. I am an intelligent, rational human being after all, almost Spock-like at times. Of course, I know what I am supposed to do spiritually when things become chaotic and are totally out of my control in this life. The very first thing to do is to pray – to share my intimate feelings with God. After all, He knows me inside and out, and loves me unconditionally even though I am His imperfect daughter. I am helpless and must come to Him as a little child, resting my head on His lap and surrender it all to him. Only He can calm the inner turmoil and heal me of my anger, my fear, and my weaknesses. I need to let Him become my strength and my comfort when the world around me makes no sense at all.

On Sunday evening this past week, I just learned that my younger sister has an aggressive cancer and is scheduled for a stem cell transplant.  That same day, she was admitted to the intensive care unit of the hospital, very close to leaving this life.

She is the fourth person in my family of seven to be seriously ill with this disease. Initially, I tried to push aside my anger and my fears. I know that it is not healthy to totally bury these feelings, so I had a good cry. Clinging to these negative feelings is self-defeating and only generates despair. Instead, I offered up my pain and fatigue for her. I have also been praying a daily Chaplet of Divine Mercy, Rosary, and other special prayers to my favorite saints for her. I have tried to focus on healing Scripture passages. I have asked everyone I know to pray for her and they have responded generously.

My heartfelt thanks goes out to all those who are praying for her. She remains in the intensive care unit and is still in serious condition, but is showing signs of improvement. She is still unable to speak and I long to hear her voice. I know, however, that in God’s time, she will speak again.

The situation is far more complex than my words can express here and I am not at liberty to tell the whole story; suffice to say, her immediate family is in need of healing and support in all ways imaginable. Due to her cancer and her husband’s daily dialysis, the family is experiencing serious financial problems. I am praying that someone in their community (in another state) will assist them. More importantly, I am praying for spiritual healing within the family and for God’s peace to fill her heart and all of our hearts as we accept His will and minister to her needs.

Already, I feel as if God is accomplishing amazing things through the power of prayer. But why should that surprise me? I know that “for God all things are possible” (Matthew 19:26).

Prayer of Surrender to God

by Thomas à Kempis

Lord, You know what is best; let this be done or that be done as You please. Give what You will, as much as You will, when You will. Do with me as You know best, as will most please You, and will be for Your greater honor. Place me where You will and deal with me freely in all things. I am in Your hand; turn me about whichever way You will. Behold, I am Your servant, ready to obey in all things. Not for myself do I desire to live, but for You--would that I could do this worthily and perfectly! (The Imitation of Christ, Bk 3, chapter 15)

~ copyright Jean M. Heimann 2015

Comments

  1. I had that Thomas a Kempis prayer for a long time in my missal, but misplaced it somewhere along the way. Glad to be reminded of it again, as it applies to current personal and family situations.

    Thanks for the post...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Count me among those who are praying for your sister, you, and family during this difficult time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Trisha!

    God reward you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My prayers are with you and your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and are published at the blogger's discretion.

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots