1. Pray a Litany to her. The Church celebrates the feast of the Holy Name of the Most Blessed Virgin Mary to instill in us how valuable and beneficial it is for us to invoke her holy name in all our needs. The name Mary means “Star of the Sea.” Like the stars in the sky, she reflects the light of Christ and illuminates the way for us along dark paths. She protects us from evil and guides us safely home. St. Thomas Aquinas, Doctor of the Church, wrote: “As mariners are guided into port by the shining of a star, so Christians are guided to heaven by Mary.” As “Star of the Sea”, Mary assists us in the storms of our lives and intercedes for us. When we encounter danger in the storm, she seeks us out and prevents us from drowning in the turbulent waters. She guides us safely to the harbor. The great Cistercian Doctor of the Church, St. Bernard of Clairvaux wrote: "If the winds of temptation arise; if you are driven upon the rocks of tribulation look to the star, call on Mary; if you are tossed upon the waves of pride, of ambition, of envy, of rivalry, look to the star, call on Mary. Should anger, or avarice, or fleshly desire violently assail the frail vessel of your soul, look at the star, call upon Mary." Here are two litanies that I like to pray to Mother Mary: Litany of the Holy Name of Mary and the Litany of Loreto.
2. Pray a Rosary. The Rosary is a beautiful prayer that our Mother has asked us to pray in many apparitions. Here is a beautiful site where you can pray the Rosary. It will assist you in learning how to pray that Rosary if you have not prayed it before.
3. Offer up small sacrifices for the conversion of sinners and the salvation of souls. This is another action which Our Mother has requested in her many apparitions. Fasting (from certain foods, eating out at restaurants, TV, the Internet, the phone, complaining, losing your temper) can be very powerful and is an act of charity that she desires of us.
4. Go to Confession. In her many apparitions, Our Lady has asked us repeatedly to repent of our sins and to turn back to her Son.
5. Go to Eucharistic Adoration.
6. Attend Holy Mass on her feast days. She wants you to honor her Son and the Holy Mass is powerful and is the most perfect prayer.
7. Preach the Gospel through your actions. Imitate Our Lady by being charitable to others. Visit the sick and the elderly. Give alms to the poor. Imitate her in humility by offering up your suffering and trials to purify yourself of pride. Imitate her in obedience to God by surrendering your will to His. Imitate her in purity by dressing modestly and living chastely.
~ copyright Jean M. Heimann 2016
Have a blessed weekend!
For more Quick Takes, please visit Kelly at This Ain't The Lyceum.