September 15 marks the feast of Our Lady of Sorrows. This title was given to our Blessed Mother due to the intense suffering and tremendous sorrow she experienced during the passion and death of her Son. She was indeed a co-redeemer with Christ due to the terrible pain she endured. Traditionally and in Scripture readings, her suffering was not limited to the passion and death event; rather, it consisted of the seven dolors or seven sorrows of Mary, which were prophesied by the priest, Simeon in Luke 2: 34-35. There Simeon announced: "Behold, this child is set for the fall and rising of many in Israel, and for a sign that is spoken against (and a sword will pierce through your own soul also), that thoughts out of many hearts may be revealed."
Today, we are called to reflect on the seven great sorrows, which Mary lived in relation to her Son, as they are recorded in the Gospels or through tradition. The Seven Sorrows are:
The prophecy of Simeon (Luke 2:25-35)
The flight into Egypt (Matthew 2:13-15)
Loss of the Child Jesus for three days (Luke 2:41-50)
Mary meets Jesus on his way to Calvary (Luke 23:27-31; John 19:17)
Crucifixion and Death of Jesus (John 19:25-30)
The body of Jesus being taken from the Cross (Psalm 130; Luke 23:50-54; John 19:31-37)
The burial of Jesus (Isaiah 53:8; Luke 23:50-56; John 19:38-42; Mark 15:40-47)
The Blessed Virgin Mary grants seven graces to the souls who honor her daily by saying seven Hail Mary's and meditating on her tears and dolors (sorrows).
The Seven Graces of this Devotion
1. I will grant peace to their families.
2. They will be enlightened about the Divine mysteries.
3. I will console them in their pains and I will accompany them in their work.
4. I will give them as much as they ask for as long as it does not oppose the adorable will of my Divine Son or the sanctification of their souls.
5. I will defend them in their spiritual battles with the infernal enemy and I will protect them at every instant of their lives.
6. I will visibly help them at the moment of their death, they will see the face of their Mother.
7. I have obtained this Grace from my Divine Son that those who propagate this devotion to my tears and dolors, will be taken directly from this earthly life to eternal happiness since all their sins will be forgiven and my Son and I will be their eternal consolation and joy.