The Memes: Favorite Saint Meme

I have some meme catching up to do. First, I will start with the one Esther sent me. Thanks for the tag, Esther!

The rules: List your four favorite saints, one favorite blessed and someone who think should have been a saint.

This is difficult as there are so many saints I feel close to, but here goes.

1. St. Therese of Lisieux
Therese is like a sister to me - that is the kind of relationship we have. I can't explain it, but when I first read The Story of a Soul at age 15, I felt close to her in spirit.

2. St. Catherine of Siena is my confirmation saint. She was a gifted woman who taught, loved, and cared for others in such a compassionate way.

3. St. John, the Evangelist is my patron saint and the apostle who was closest to the Lord. He is known as "the beloved disciple" and the one to whom Jesus entrusted with the care of His mother. He was the only apostle to remain with Jesus until the end. His biblical writings inspire me in my love for God and for others and in my appreciation of the Holy Eucharist. I try daily to emulate Him in His love for the Lord and His Holy Mother.

4. St. St Gianna Beretta Molla -- an Italian physician, a working mom, professional woman, and a loving wife who gave her life to save the life of her unborn child. She inspires me by the great sacrifice she made.

My favorite Blessed (actually Servant of God) is Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen. I watched him on TV as a child and lived in the same area that he did. I have always loved and admired him.

The person I think should have become a saint is someone who
was my husband's spiritual director for many years and my confessor for a few years - Father Clare Bourdereaux, OFM.

Born on September 27, 1934, Father Clair was a native of Peoria and attended Sacred Heart Grade School and Spalding Institute before leaving for St. Francis Seminary in Cincinnati, Ohio. An only child, who had his heart set on the priesthood from his earliest days, he joined the Franciscan Order at age 14, but had to return home when his father died unexpectedly. After working to support his mother for a year, he returned to the seminary, earning a degree in philosophy from Duns Scotus College in Detroit and completed his studies for the priesthood at St. Leonard College. He was ordained June 14, 1962. He first served as a chaplain at the Lebanon State Penitentiary in Lebanon, Ohio and was then assigned to the faculty of the Order's St. Francis Seminary. For the next five years he was assigned to Mexican - American parishes in New Mexico. He served as a chaplain for the Poor Clares in Rosewell and then as an assistant at the Gallup Cathedral. He went on to work as the pastor of St. Lawrence Parish in Lafayette, Indiana. In 1976, Father Clair returned home to Sacred Heart after requesting the assignment to care for his aged mother. Father remained in Peoria until his untimely death in 1995.

Father Clair's outspoken and gregarious manner made him one of the most popular priests in the Catholic Diocese of Peoria, IL.
He was acknowledged by his Provincial to have been the confessor to more bishops, priests, and nuns than any other priest in the country.

At his funeral there was standing room only (just barely). He was a priest who gave himself wholly to loving God and loving others. He was spiritual director to many priests. I can't tell you in words how special he was, not only to me, but to so many people. Each one has their own story or stories of him. I have never in my life personally known someone who was so loving and I have never gone to Confession to someone more merciful. He was a great man who made others feel comfortable and special in his presence. Like Blessed Teresa of Calcutta - my favorite blessed - he served the poor and brought joy to the hearts of all those he encountered. He was a true Franciscan, a holy priest, a great man, and a loving friend.

For more of my favorites, go here and here.

Comments

  1. Good choices Jean. I really enjoyed reading this post.
    God bless,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Esther. You put a lot of work into yours and came up with some of my favorite saints, too.

    St. Max helped me minister to a fallen away Catholic of Polish descent and through his intercession, this man returned to the faith after a long absence. St. Max has helped me out in some tough situations. My former spiritual director from Marytown, a Conventual Franciscan, taught me about St. Max.

    St. Teresa Benedicta is dear to my heart and I never tire of reading or writing about her. I can't seem to get enough of her.

    St. John Marie Vianney is such a sweet person - so full of love for the Lord. He has interceded for priests I have known.

    Thanks again for the tag.

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and are published at the blogger's discretion.

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots