Feast Of Blessed Andre Bessette

(1845 - 1937)

Blessed Andre was the eighth of 12 children born in a small village near Montreal, Canada to a poor French Canadian family. At age nine, Andre's father was killed while he was working; about three years later, his mother died of tuberculosis.

He attempted various trades, but was not very skilled at any of them. He could barely read or write and suffered from poor health all of his life. At age 15, Andre became a Brother of the Holy Cross, but was rejected after only one year of the novitiate due to his poor health. However, with the help of the Bishop of Montreal he was allowed to stay and make his religious profession. For forty years, he worked as doorkeeper at the College of Notre Dame.

Andre had a deep devotion for St. Joseph and spent much time in prayer. He selflessly prayed for others, and through his intercessory prayers to St. Joseph, thousands of miracles occurred. Andre was deeply committed to helping the poor and the afflicted. On their behalf, he constructed a small chapel, dedicated to St. Joseph. This chapel grew into the Oratory of St. Joseph, which is still in use today.

Blessed Andre died at the age of 91 on January 6, 1937. He lived a long life of service to God and fulfilled his vocational duties to the fullest. At his funeral, more than a million people filed past his coffin.

Blessed Andre's most outstanding virtue, I believe, was his love for God shown through his service to his fellow man. He prayed individually with people for 8 to 10 hours at a time, despite his own poor health.

Andre was also a very humble man. He never took any credit for the work he did, but said, "It is St. Joseph who cures. I am only his little dog."

Although Andre was an uneducated man with poor health, he was strong spiritually and worked in powerful ways to bring the love of Jesus to others. The glory and the splendor of God shone brightly through him.

"My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect through weakness. I will rather boast most gladly of my weaknesses, in order that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and constraints, for the sake of Christ; for when I am weak, then I am strong."

~ 2 Cor. 12: 9-10


Quotes From Blessed Andre:

"I am ignorant. If there were anyone more ignorant, the good God would choose him in my place."

"I have only my great devotion to St. Joseph to guide me."



Prayer: Father God, help me to follow in the footsteps of Blessed Andre by giving myself to the afflicted and to the poor, to those in need of my love, my time, and my prayers. Fill my heart with a strong devotion to St. Joseph and to follow Blessed Andre in his shining example of love, perseverance in prayer, and in humility so that I may share with him in your glory. I ask this in the precious name of your Son, Jesus. Amen.



Comments

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots