The First Step in Changing Society

How do we change the society we live in to be more in tune with the laws of God? What is the secret of motivating people to become more virtuous? These are questions that I continually ask myself. In these times of constant unrest in the world where the prevailing attitude is "an eye for an eye" and "a tooth for a tooth", where innocent human beings are slaughtered in the womb daily, and our disabled and elderly are treated as burdens on society, I ask myself what can I as one person do to promote change?

The answer I consistently receive in my conversations with God are to come before Him daily and to surrender my life to Him and to His Holy Mother. This begins with offering up all my thoughts, words, actions, joys, and sufferings to Jesus and Mary. A prayer as simple as, "All for You, Mary" will suffice. A morning offering and more formal consecration prayers to Jesus and to Mary are part of my usual routine in addition to saying the Liturgy of the Hours. In addition, I go to Mass and Holy Communion as often as possible.

However, something seems to be missing when I don't permit myself to have that quiet time before Our Lord. Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen referred to it as the "Holy Hour" -- that special time with the Lord in His presence. That time should be preferably be spent before the Blessed Sacrament, but when this is not possible, just being alone with Him quietly, using the Bible -- His Sacred Word -- to assist in focusing on His presence can be helpful in developing a more intimate union with Him.

Focusing on the One we love will gradually transform us into His likeness. As we gaze intently upon Him, we become a reflection of Him. We become His light-bearers in this world of darkness, spreading the peace, the love, and the joy that we receive from Him to those we encounter in our daily lives.

“Contemplative – Actives” are what the Holy Father has called each one us to be. Without this time before the Lord, there is little that we can accomplish. With it, God gives us powerful graces to energize us and lead us into holy actions guided by the wisdom of the Holy Spirit.

Here are some quotes I have been pondering lately in my quiet time with the Lord:

" Changing the human heart and changing human society are not separate tasks, but are as interconnected as the two beams of the cross."

-- Henry Nouwen


"The holy hour in our modern rat race is necessary for authentic prayer.... We are not called to great penances, and many would interfere with our duty, but the [holy] hour is our daily sacrifice in union with Christ."

-- Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen


" I know I wouldn't be able to work one week if it were not for the continual force coming from Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament. In our society, we begin our day with Mass and Holy Communion and we end it with one full hour of Adoration. All of us know that unless we believe and can see Jesus in the appearance of bread on the altar, we will not be able to see Him in the distressing disguise of the poor. Therefore, these two loves are but one in Jesus."

-- Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta


© 2004 Jean M. Heimann

Comments

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots