St. Dominic - A Saint After My Own Heart

My husband Bill tells me that there was a tradition in his hometown, which was composed primarily of devoted Catholics who immigrated to this country from the northwestern part of Germany and Holland to southwestern Illinois, for families to name their children the saint whose feast day it was on the day of the child's birth. For example, if you gave birth on the feast day of St. Jean Marie Vianney, your child would be named after him -- John if the child was a boy and Jean, if a girl.

I have a friend who once confided that each of our guardian angels has a name and that name is the same name of the saint whose feast day falls on our birthday. For example, if your birthday is August 8th -- the feast of St. Dominic -- then your angel's name is Dominic.

I have confirmation from several senior citizens in Bill’s hometown that the first story is indeed true. The parents of my brother - in - law, Felix, wanted to name him Henry, but their parish priest denied their request and insisted that he be named Felix, as he was born on that saint's feast day. Can you imagine that happening today with people so uppity about all their rights and "freedoms"? But I have to admit that I am happy that tradition was not commonplace in the area where I was born as I am not all that fond of the name Dominica or Nicky.

The second story sounds sweet, and ever since I heard it, I address my guardian angel as Dominic. I envision my guardian angel, Dominic, as a strong, very protective spirit. Since the name "Dominic" means "of the Lord" it does seem to fit.

My mom and my dad both had a strong devotion for Our Mother, so they gave me the middle name of Marie -- the French version of Mary. I took Catherine for my confirmation name after St. Catherine of Sienna -- the well-known Dominican Doctor of the Church.

Then, several years ago, I became involved with the Community of St. John, which was founded by a French Dominican priest -- Fr. Dominique Phillipe.

Is this all a coincidence? I don't think so. St. Dominic has been a wonderful protector and intercessor for me in all the trials I have experienced during my 55 years of life on earth. Both He and St. John the "beloved" Apostle have drawn me closer to our dear Mother who leads us to the Heart of her Son.

Today, I would like to share a little about St. Dominic -- my special protector and the saint whose feast day it is that we celebrate today.

St. Dominic Guzman is the founder of the Order of Preachers (the Dominicans) and the Saint of the Holy Rosary. When he was preaching to the Albigenses, St. Dominic obtained little success initially. However, one day, as he was complaining of this in his prayers to our Blessed Mother, she responded to him, saying, "Wonder not that you have obtained so little fruit by your labors, you have spent them on barren soil, not yet watered with the dew of Divine grace. When God willed to renew the face of the earth, He began by sending down on it the fertilizing rain of the Angelic Salutation. Therefore preach my Psalter composed of 150 Angelic Salutations and 15 Our Fathers, and you will obtain an abundant harvest."

The place of the revelation was the church of Prouille and the time was 1208. The claim of place and time are most strongly supported by the tradition of the Dominican Order. Pope Leo XIII affirmed the Dominican origin of the Rosary and in a letter to the Bishop of Carcassone, he accepts the tradition of Prouille as the place where the Blessed Virgin Mary appeared to St. Dominic and revealed this devotion. 13 popes support the tradition that Mary first revealed the Rosary devotion to St. Dominic.

St. Dominic boldly ventured into the villages of the heretics, gathered the people, and preached to them about the mysteries of salvation. As the Blessed Virgin had taught him to do, he distinguished the different kinds of mysteries and after each short instruction he recited ten Hail Mary’s. St. Dominic found great success with this new devotion, which brought about the conversion of the Albigensians. The late Dominican, Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange, who was a teacher of Pope John Paul II when he was a student at the Angelicum in Rome, stated: "Our Blessed Lady made known to St. Dominic a kind of preaching till then unknown; which she said would be one of the most powerful weapons against future errors and in future difficulties."

St. Dominic, pray for us, for our families and loved ones, and all who have strayed away from the faith, and especially for those in our society today – all our brothers and sisters who perpetuate heresy – those who embrace and spread false doctrine regarding abortion, euthanasia, and all the perversions which are preached particularly by our "Catholic" pro-choice politicians and many of our "Catholic" Hollywood celebrities. Lift the veil of darkness and deception which blinds them and lead them into the light and the reality of Truth so they may be set free to return Home to their Heavenly family. Amen.

~ Copyright 2004 Jean M. Heimann

Comments

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots