Mel Gibson Speaks Against Human Embryo Cloning Research

on ABC (LifeSiteNews.com) HOLLYWOOD, The California ballot measure, proposition 71, which would see 3 billion in taxpayer dollars go to support human embryonic stem cell research, has met an enemy inHollywood star and famed director Mel Gibson. Speaking on ABC's 'Good Morning America' today, Gibson explained that while he is in favor of adult stem cell research he opposes destructive research on embryos and cloning of human embryos for research.

"I'm very concerned with the stem cell question. I'm for stem cell research, I think it can do a lot of good. When I heard about proposition 71 to promote stem cell research I was overjoyed, because it can do so much good. But then I began to look deeper into the proposition and I found that the cloning of human embryos would be used in the process and that, to me, I have an ethical problem with that," he said. Gibson wondered aloud, "Why do I, as a taxpayer, have to fund something I believe is unethical?"The celebrated director said he called California Governor and former fellow actor Arnold Schwarzenegger about the proposition. "I called Gov. Schwarzenegger last night to talk about this very issue," he said.

Gibson related that when he raised the issue Schwarzenegger excused himself to make a speech saying he would call back. "Well, Arnold, I'm still waiting for your call,"Gibson concluded. See Mel Gibson on ABC (free clip for today) here:http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/

~ Posted by Jean M. Heimann

Comments

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots