Saint Gertrude the Great

Today, is the feast of two special saints – St. Margaret of Scotland and St. Gertrude the Great. I chose to write about St. Gertrude, who has a special place in my heart because my mother (who went to her Eternal Reward not long ago) selected Gertrude as her Confirmation name and, when she shared this with me, as a child, I wondered why she had chosen this particular saint’s name. I learned that both she and my mother had many things in common – a strong devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, a fervent love for the Eucharist, and much compassion for the poor souls in Purgatory.

St. Gertrude was born in born in Germany, January 6, 1256. We know nothing of her family background. We do know, however, that she was educated at the Abbey at Halfta from the age of five. She was an intellectually gifted student and a gentle, sensitive person. She had a charming personality and others drew to her like a magnet, yet she maintained a deep sense of humility.

She later joined the Benedictine Community, and, as a young nun, continued her studies, but was an avid reader of non-religious literature. Then, one evening in 1281, Jesus appeared to her, took her hand, and said, "I will save and deliver you. Fear not." From that day on, Sister Gertrude was "converted" from a life of religious mediocrity to one of impassioned pursuit of union with God.

She had many mystical experiences, which she wrote of in her book, "Revelations of St. Gertrude." Her holiness was centered on her love for Jesus Christ and she developed a strong devotion to the Sacred Heart as well as a deep, fervent love for the Eucharist. Her writings have been greatly praised by Saint Teresa and Saint Francis de Sales, and continue in print today. St. Gertrude’s most important books are "The Herald of Divine Love" and the "Spiritual Exercises."

Prayer of St. Gertrude the Great

"Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family. Amen."

Our Lord told St. Gertrude the Great that this prayer would release 1000 souls from purgatory every time it is said. The prayer was extended to include living sinners as well.

Eucharistic Quote

As St. Gertrude was about to receive the Sacred Host, she asked, "O Lord, what gift are You going to grant me?" And Jesus answered, "The gift of My Whole Being with My Divine nature, as formerly my Virgin Mother received it."

Comments

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots