Litany of the Dust

For those who have betrayed us...Father, forgive them.
for those who have let us down...(Repeat: Father, forgive them.)
for those who have been indifferent to us...
for those who have crippled our lives...
for those who have doubted us...
for those who have accused us...
for those who have preferred others to us...
for family members who have hurt us...
for friends who have denied us...
for those who have walked away from us...

For my own self pity...Father, forgive me.
for my lukewarmness...(Repeat: Father, forgive me.)
for my times of despair and distrust...
for my refusals to be hugged...
for my disbelief in your love...
for my searchings everywhere but in your heart...
for apologies frozen on my lips...
for my words of love unspoken...
for my kisses and embraces ungiven...
for compliments never offered...
for a heart closed in self-centeredness...
for my own unforgiving postures...
for not believing in your forgiveness...

O Jesus, you who offered forgiveness to so many---to Mary, the
Crippled Man, the Good Thief---who said that you came to give
life and shed your blood "for the forgiveness of sins," forgive us
our sins. Not only the obvious ones, but especially the unnoticed
ones of pride, righteousness, self-hate and the refusal to be loved.
Take our very selves and wash them in that unconditional love
of yours, for you are a God of mercy and compassion, you who
live and love forever and ever. Amen.

Comments

  1. Jean, this is worth reciting daily. Thank you!
    God bless,

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Esther!

    A friend sent this to me - she received it from a priest some time ago. I used to recite a similar prayer daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's simply amazing. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and are published at the blogger's discretion.

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots