Seven Quick Takes



This has been an unusual week for me. It has been a week of waiting and intense intercessory prayer for many people. While things in one area of my life have been progressing, I have been patiently waiting for guidance and direction to move forward. I am not good at waiting and I am praying that the Holy Spirit set a fire under those I am waiting on or enlighten me promptly. I am praying in union with God's will, of course.


I recently learned that someone I know has been going through a harrowing experience. She is a mother with seven children, who has a 10-year-old daughter with a rare disease of the autoimmune system. I have been praying day and night for this dear family, who have also been experiencing serious financial difficulties and multiple problems. I would just ask for your prayer support for this Catholic family. One Memorare or one Hail Mary would make an incredible difference for this family. Thank you!


Last weekend we went to see the pro-life, pro-family film Gimme Shelter, which we really enjoyed. It is not a high budget film, but the acting is wonderful! As a former crisis pregnancy counselor, I can tell you that the characters and the plot are believable and very realistic. This film is well-worth your time and money.



It's not too soon to be thinking about Lent, which is a little over one month away. I have posted my book review on a beautiful Lenten spiritual companion for the entire family, Bringing Lent Home with St. Therese of Lisieux by Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle.


Today is the feast of St. John Bosco, the patron saint of youth. The industrial revolution had drawn large numbers of people into the city to look for work that was frequently grueling and sometimes scarce. Don Bosco was shocked to see how many boys ended up in prison before the age of 18, left to starve spiritually and sometimes physically. The priest was determined to save as many young people as he could from a life of degradation. He established a group known as the Oratory of St. Francis de Sales, and became a kindly spiritual father to boys in need.  So many children in our society nowadays are without fathers in the home. I pray that St. John Bosco will watch over them and provide them with kindly, protective fathers and father-figures to care for their physical, emotional, and spiritual needs and to teach them the faith, by example.


Do you do yoga? I have learned over the years that this is a very controversial topic among Catholics. Check out my post here to learn more from a Dominican priest on the topic.

Here is a trailer for a new film that I just recently learned about. I have not heard much about it yet, but it looks interesting. It is called Son of God and it opens in theaters on February 28, 2014.



Comments

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots