7QT: Summer Activities




1.  First of all, I would like to thank Matthew Coffin at  Big C Catholics for the wonderful review of my book, Seven Saints for Seven Virtues. This is the best and most comprehensive review I have had so far. I would also like to thank Chris Stewart of Casting Nets Ministry and Maria Stewart for their fine reviews on Amazon, as well. 


2.  What are we doing for fun this summer? Here's what I have in mind: Attending the Midwest Catholic Family Conference from August 7-9 in Wichita, KS. Then, traveling to Aspen, Colorado for another wonderful conference on The Future of Christianity? from August 14-16. I am looking forward to both of these conferences.

3. Here are some photo from my flower gardens this July:


Sunflowers


Daylilies, Firecrackers, and Rose of Sharon bush


4. Movies (DVDs) I have really enjoyed watching this summer include: Mc Farland USA,  Planes, Selma, Paddington, Big Hero 6, and Dolphin Tale. All are rated PG with the exception of Selma, which is rated PG-13.  I would avoid taking the children to see Minions, as it is not a family-friendly movie.  

5. My favorite book of the summer has been Finding True Happiness: Satisfying Our Restless Hearts by Robert Spritzer, S.J., Ph.D. This is an excellent study of happiness and a guide to what makes us happy from historical, philosopical, psychological and theological systems. I would recommend it for those who enjoy delving deeply into the reasons why we are happy and are already somewhat knowledgeable in these areas. I enjoyed it because psychology and theology are two of my areas of interest and expertise.

6. On Catholic Fire, I posted a novena to St. Anne, which starts today. This is one of my favorite novenas, which I prayed at our local church with my mom for many years.

7. Just for fun -- a picture outside my window:


The bird on the right sat through the 30-minute storm last week on this branch, getting soaked, but not moving. When the storm ended the bird, on the left flew over to greet him with some little ones.

"I hope I didn't keep you waiting too long while I went shopping with the kids. They had a back to school sale."

Have a great weekend!
Jean


Comments

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots