7QT: Spiritual Renewal, Spring, Saints, and Sanctity



1. Spiritual Renewal -- This year, we are celebrating 30 years of Eucharistic Adoration in our parish, so for our parish mission, we had the sons and daughters of our parish who have entered into the consecrated life return to their home parish to talk about their religious vocations and how Eucharistic Adoration shaped their vocations and impacted their lives. Here I am with the beautiful Sister Sophia Grace, who entered the Franciscan Sisters, TOR of Penance of the Sorrowful Mother. They are a contemplative-active order who "make known God's merciful love" by dedication to prayer and intercession, service to the poor and the sick, and the evangelization at parishes and college campuses. You can learn more about them at their website Franciscans@Torsisters.org or connect with them on Facebook, Youtube, Linked-In or Blogger. Sr. Sophia gives a brief summary of her call on their website. Here is an even more beautiful photo of Sr. Sophia Grace making her perpetual profession of vows with the Franciscan Sisters and the background story. I met Sr. Sophia Grace through Eucharistic Adoration and daily Mass about ten years ago. It did not surprise me one bit when she entered the religious life.





2.  Spring -- Spring seems to be starting early this year. For the past few weeks, our weather has been warm. The daffodils, tulips, and hyacinths are popping up everywhere in my yard. I have just started watering them, but have been praying for rain as we have had very little moisture this year. Thunderstorms are in the forecast for the early part of next week.



3.  How is your Lent going? I have been trying to keep my Lent simple this year so I don't bite off more than I can chew, which is typically the case for me. If you need further ideas or inspiration, please visit Reflections on the Sacred Liturgy  where you can find some wonderful resources and meditations on Lent and the Sacred Triduum by Fr. Tom Hoisington. This site contains daily reflections, Sunday reflections, audio readings from the Carmelite saints and more.


4.  What have I been cooking up for Lent? I have been sticking with my seafood, vegetable, and soup recipes. But today, I found a new recipe I want to try.  VEGGIE FRITTATA MUFFINS are Gluten Free, Grain Free, Legume Free, Nut Free, and Sugar Free. By avoiding grains, gluten, and sugar, I have been losing weight at a good pace and am staying healthy.

5.  Our saint of the day for March 5 is St. Casmir of Poland, a prince whose life of service to God has made him a patron saint of Poland, Lithuania, and young people. He is also the patron saint of bachelors and is represented by a crown and a lily (which symbolizes purity.)


6. This past week, we celebrated the feasts of some great saints: St. David of Wales, St. Angela of the Cross, and St. Katharine Drexel. 

7.  Holiness, Sanctity, Piety...It's what we all desire, but how is it attainable? I have written about it in my book Seven Saints for Seven Virtues, but continue to learn about it through a new book, which is on my reading list for Lent, How To Be Holy by Peter Kreeft. I can't wait to start this one! Peter Kreeft is one of my favorite authors, so I already know it's going to be good.

Have a wonderful weekend and a blessed Lent!
Jean         

For more Quick Takes, visit Kelly at This Ain't the Lyceum.                                                                                   
         

Comments

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots