Timothy Dolan: Being a cardinal it's not a promotion, it's a higher calling to serve the Church




February 16, 2012. (Romereports.com) Wearing a super bowl baseball cap and a windbreaker from New York's Police Department, Archbishop Timothy Dolan talked about the moment he officially found out he would be elevated to Cardinal.

The Archbishop of New York says it shouldn't be described as a promotion or honor, but rather as a higher calling to serve the Church.

Cardinal Designate Timothy Dolan
Archbishop of New York (USA)
“It has given me some humility. I can't let this go to my head. I can't let my head get as puffed up as my tummy. I have to remind myself 'I'm a sinner, I constantly have to improve my life.'”

As the president of the Conference of Catholic Bishops, Dolan has been the voice and face of those who oppose president Obama's new health care mandate. At first, it required all employers to offer contraception to their female employees.

Now, after Dolan voiced his concerns, the president said religious institutions would be exempt. Instead insurance companies will be responsible for directly offering the contraception to employees. Dolan says the fight isn't over yet.

Cardinal Designate Timothy Dolan
Archbishop of New York (USA)
“It left unattended the whole constitutional, American civil rights, philosophical question as to what right does a bureau of the federal government have to butt into the internal affairs of the Church.”

Dolan is 62 years old. He was born in St. Louis Missouri and was ordained a priest at the age of 26. After serving as the Archbishop of Milwaukee from 2002 to 2009, he was appointed Archbishop of New York. In fact, he says he considers the Church his spouse.

Cardinal Designate Timothy Dolan
Archbishop of New York (USA)
“In the early days of my life, I sensed that Jesus might be inviting me to be a priest. The longer I thought about it and talked about it and looked into it, the more convinced I was.”

Benedict XVI will name 22 new cardinals on February 18th, among them two Americans. Aside from advising the Pope on different issues, Cardinals younger than 80 years of age, also take part in a conclave, where the Pope is elected.

Comments

Blog Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog

The Spirituality and Miracles of St. Clare of Assisi

Saint Michael de Sanctis: Patron of Cancer Patients

Saint Gerard of Brogne: Patron of Abbots